Watching a MacBook Pro Video on HD TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pasipple, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I bought a Monoprice adapter to send video feeds from my 2009 Macbook Pro to my TV.

The adapter is a Mini Display Port (MDP) to TV (HDMI).

I get the standard desktop on the TV but I don't get my desktop or the Quicktime Player? Is there a function key that I press to toggle to my desktop?

Thanks...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Drag them to the external TV, as of right now, your Mac is set to extend instead of Mirror Displays.

Have a look at System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement.

3. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Thank you....

I checked the mirror displays and it's working....

Excellent....

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you enabled (checked) Mirror Displays, your TV will use 1440 x 900 pixel as a resolution, the same as your MBP. Your TV might offer you a bigger resolution though, like 1920 x 1080, have a look at that manual, that came with your TV.

5. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

If I check the Mirror Displays I do see the 1080P resolution on the display tab. If I don't select Mirror Displays I don't have the option of 1080p?

6. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'm sorry for asking...I just don't know. What are the two blue boxes supposed to represent in the Arrangement?

I see one box has the menu band on top. Does that represent the computer? And the other the TV? No idea...this is confusing if you've never done this before.

How is this to be arranged?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mirror Displays does what it says, it mirrors your internal MBP display onto the external, you see the same content on the TV as you see on the MBP's internal display. As the internal display has a maximum resolution of 1440 x 900, the image on the external display is 1440 x 900 too, unless the external TV does not support a resolution that high.

If you uncheck/disable the Mirror Displays option, you extend your MBP's display. So you can have 1440 x 900 on the internal display and 1920 x 1080 on the external TV, if it does support it (have a look at the manual or the product page in the www).
    You don't see the same content on both displays, as it is not mirrored but extended.

So if your TV supports 1902 x 1080, don't use the Mirror Displays option.

The Arrangement tab lets you position your displays, if you have unchecked/disabled Mirror Displays.

The one with the white bar on top is the one display with the Menu Bar, normally your MBP.
    The other blue box (not a time machine of course) is the external display. You can drag it wherever you want.

If the TV is on the left side of your MBP, drag it to the left, to avoid confusion.

If it is on the left, drag the blue box to the left, if it is on the top, drag it to the top.

You can also drag the white bar (Menu bar) to the external TV, so you can have the Menu bar on the external TV, but using a TV as a computer display is not advised due to its low resolution and pixel depth.

You can edit your post via the [​IMG], which is left of the [​IMG] button, which itself is also left of the [​IMG] (multi-quote) button, as consecutive posts by one user are not welcome.

It looks like this on the bottom right of every of your posts:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

It seems that the only way the video shows up on the TV is with the Mirror Display box checked? Is that correct?

Then using the menu bar drop down menu I can select 1080p under the MDP.

Seems to work....

Thanks...

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If that works, then that is fine.

10. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. I appreciate it!

11. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Yes...it seems that the only way I get the video on the TV is with Mirror Displays is checked. This does seem to jive with what you're saying for some reason?

But it seems to work "checked" and then configuring the dropdown "display" menu to 1080i...

Thank you...

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If it jives, it does so only to spite me. ;)

What I wrote is maybe only applicable for computer displays, but does not really work for TVs.

But as it seems to work, it should be fine.

Here is another thread to consider depending the drop-down menu you seem to have spoken of.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=881887

13. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Again....Thanks!!!!