Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I remember in the original launch event for the Apple Watch, they showed an app that provided a video feed of a garage door closing. Could this be adapted to show a movie on the Apple Watch?

I know this idea is ridiculous and impractical - - I'm just curious.

I was thinking of playing a movie on an iMac and then using the iMac's FaceTime camera and a strategically placed mirror...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I remember in the original launch event for the Apple Watch, they showed an app that provided a video feed of a garage door closing. Could this be adapted to show a movie on the Apple Watch?

I was thinking of playing a movie on an iMac and then using the iMac's FaceTime camera and a strategically placed mirror...

You can't FaceTime from the watch anyway so that wouldn't work.

I believe you can play videos in iMessages, not sure what the limitations of those are.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Yeah, that garage door was a demo (Alarm.com, IIRC) and the vendor even said that wasn't really possible yet. At the time it was only really possible to do a sequence of images as an animation and they had to be loaded on the watch as snapshots...

Reactions: Blujelly

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I believe you can play videos in iMessages, not sure what the limitations of those are.
Yup, they'll play, although it's rare when I get any video messages.

I'll send one to myself from my wife's phone. Hang on..

---

It works fine. I don't know if there's a limit on length or anything, but it looks like a tiny iPhone video, not grainy at all.

I don't know why people keep saying the processor is weak; isn't it on par with an iPhone 4S, give or take?

Reactions: bobob

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't know why people keep saying the processor is weak; isn't it on par with an iPhone 4S, give or take?

Yes it's roughly the same power as a 4s. And I agree with you, I don't know why so many think it's some weak first gen iPhone processor when it's not all that bad for the size it's packed into.

I have heard that the watch S1 chip does reach the thermal limit because it is in such a small space. If true they would have to do some pretty clever engineering to update to an S2 all while making the second gen watch "thinner" that everyone seems to want. Because for some reason the already tiny Apple Watch isn't small enough for some.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Prop your iPhone in front of the TV/laptop and then open the camera app on the watch. The picture quality is pretty good and works over wi-fi so you can be quite far away from the phone.
I use it at work to monitor readouts on screens when I'm on a different floor or to keep an eye on my toddler when he should be in bed!

Reactions: Arran and bobob

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Yes it's roughly the same power as a 4s. And I agree with you, I don't know why so many think it's some weak first gen iPhone processor when it's not all that bad for the size it's packed into.

That feeling that the S1 is weak probably came from the fact that Watch OS 1.0 was slow and laggy. Which is true - it certainly was in some respects. It's gotten quite a bit better with the updates, so I feel like the issue was mostly software, and Apple heavily biasing the code towards battery life management over speed. I think they're easing it in the other direction as they optimize things. Also while the S1 may be near the 4s in power, I'm not sure if that's true for the flash memory read/write speed, which would play heavily into app load times.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
You are optometrist's dream, just make sure save some money for that thick glasses or magnifier in the future.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I FaceTime my stove so the stock doesn't boilover.

sC_RVYMqjRRwdTJ_oysWEFx0KItMQthjif88v7xVijs.jpg

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Hey, I had an Osborne 1 CP/M computer with the spacious five-inch screen. I also had the aftermarket rod-mounted fresnel magnifying lens...

For AW 42mm, which is 1.56" diag screen size, has approx. 1.2 sq-in. For iPhone 6+/6s+, which is 4.7" diag screen size, has approx. 14.5 sq-in, which is 1,200% of AW, or has 11 times more display space than AW.

Looking at a same font size with 11 times larger display is going to be larger, like 11 times larger.

tinghe17

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015

mmplayer app let you play movie on apple watch.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
I can barely stand to watch video clips on my phone, and I've got a 6s+.

Not happening for me on my watch.

Reactions: g-7

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
...if only someone had thought of that before...

Thank-you to everyone who came up with interesting lateral-thinking workarounds for this! :)

Wish I could help you.

I think there is a Vine app for the Apple Watch, which allows you to watch 6 second videos on the watch. I think it could probably be done, but I'm thinking the watch might die before you finish the movie most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.