Watching a movie, other questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by parrotheadlois, Jul 7, 2009.

1. parrotheadlois macrumors newbie

I'm very new to Mac after years of Windows. So questions keep coming up, like, if I'm watching a movie (like from Netflix), the screen goes dark. How do I stop that from happening? I changed the time for the screensaver, but that's not what happens, it just goes black. It'll come back on if I click it.

Another is, for instance, I'm now at work not on my Mac. This screen is full size, easy to work with. On my Mac it opens only about half the size and I don't know how to make it full screen. Clicking on the green dot in the upper left doesn't do it.

I also don't know how to "drag" - not a clue. Just can't figure that out at all.

thanks for your patience :eek:

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

To stop it from dimming, download and install http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/. Caffeine puts a item on your systems top bar (by the clock) that is an icon of a coffee cup. Click it to keep your computer "awake", click it again to return to normal mode. You can also set it to stay "awake" for an hour then return to normal mode (if you are watching a movie while going to bed for example).

As for resizing windows, on the lower right corner there are a series of slanted lines, click and hold on it then drag to resize.

3. parrotheadlois thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks for the download link, I can do that.

But as far as dragging, click what? I've been trying, I thought that was probably it but I just can't get it to do it. Click on the top part of the mouse pad? or lower part?

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Click like you would on anything else. Just like you would click on the red X to close the window. But instead of letting go, hold down and move your finger on the trackpad.

The resize area looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Just click and drag the little slanted lines until the size is at a size you are comfortable with. Just click anywhere on the pad onto the little slanted lines and drag your finger across the pad.

6. parrotheadlois thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help - I'll try that as soon as I get home from work.
    It's a great computer, but all those years of Windows make me feel like a dunce!!:eek: and this is my first laptop too.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

In addition to the idea of installing caffeine, you can go into System Preferences > Energy Saver and drag the "Put the display(s) to sleep when the computer is inactive for:" slider to Never (or some value longer than your movie) in addition to the screen saver settings.

8. parrotheadlois thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ha - That sounds like a plan!!! I knew there had to be a way!!

9. parrotheadlois thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so now I'm home and using my Mac. I can click on the little arrows just above the slanted lines in the corner and scroll up and down this page, but when I click on the slanted lines and try to drag, nothing happens:confused:
    what am I doing wrong???

wait!! I did it!!!!! thanks!!