Watching Blu ray rips 15" vs 17" mbp Glossy vs Matte

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dudc, Jun 30, 2009.

1. dudc macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here watches blu ray rips on their 17" macbook pro. Does the higher resolution of the 17" make a big difference vs the 15"?

Also, I don't want to start up another Glossy vs Matte war but do you guys prefer the glossy or matte screen when watching movies in the dark?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Mind you, you'd have to be running Windows under boot camp or VM to use Blu-Ray discs via an external drive.

3. dudc thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have given more info. I am using anydvd hd under windows to rip the blurays. I then use tsmuxer to extract to a m2ts file. I'm using plex in mac os to view the blu-ray m2ts file rips on my 15" macbook pro "glassy".

1080 downconverted looks wonderful on my 15" and a world better than ordinary dvds. My question was if anyone here has had experience with viewing 1080p movies on a 17" macbook pro and also if they had an opinion of glossy vs matte for watching movies.

Thank you.

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

Glossy is supposed to give you better contrast and better colours, but... it's glossy. If you're planning on watching the movie in a dark room, it shouldn't be a problem.

I also watch 1080p blueray rips on my 15", they look great.
    But it has to leave out 1008000* pixels worth of detail to fit that full 1080p image on the lower resolution screen. I don't have a 17" but I'm sure it's noticeably sharper.

* 1920x1200-1440x900=1008000, not taking into account 16:9 aspect ratio, but whatever...