Watching Event - Tim is no Steve :(

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
He does well enough,
but seems to attempt to use some of Steve's mannerisms
and it just comes off as uninteresting in comparison.

Phil does much better than Tim.

What do you think?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
If he did mimic Jobs he'd be criticized for that too.

Personally, I don't care WHO presents it. I care about the product presented.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Tim seems much more smooth and confident this time. I'm sure he's been working on his public speaking. It shows.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Tim is no Steve... nobody else can be like Steve. Tim replaced Steve as CEO, not as a person.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
I agree. Not only this, but I feel like he's still trying to find his style. But once he does, he will be a much better speaker than he is now.
Yep, I agree. He tried a little too hard in places and almost forgot his lines a couple of times, but it's a big improvement over the last couple of times.

His biggest problem is that he still sounds too scripted. Steve sounded very natural and at ease. He oozed confidence. Natural salesman.

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Yep, I agree. He tried a little too hard in places and almost forgot his lines a couple of times, but it's a big improvement over the last couple of times.

His biggest problem is that he still sounds too scripted. Steve sounded very natural and at ease. He oozed confidence. Natural salesman.
Actually, I did notice the fact that it did sound a bit scripted. Steve spoke so naturally, I wouldn't hesitate to believe that he "just winged it" every time. But I guess getting more practice will help Tim improve on this as well. I never saw Steve's earlier keynotes, but I'm sure some improvement can be seen between those and the keynotes from a couple of years ago.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I really missed Steve's reality distortion field:) You just know he would have made the slight increase in thickness a positive, saying it just feels better in the hands, maybe showing a credit card saying it's only this much thicker, and you get a retina display.

Also announcing the pricing before the end was a little odd to me. waiting until the end adds drama, I could just see Steve saying at the end: wow, faster processor! 5 megapixel camera! a retina display! what could we charge for all these upgrades? twice the price?...NO change, the same price, WOW.

Nobody replaces Steve, and I saw many things Steve would have not liked, but nothing stays the same:(

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Phil Schiller was the best presenter today. I can't tell if he was purposefully trying to be goofy or not :p

Tim is not cool at all. Eddy Cue is a total dork. These people are great at their jobs but I don't want to watch them present stuff like I did with SJ.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
Steve was a great public speaker and it made sense for him to do the presentations. Tim made a good effort, but I don't think he'll ever be brilliant at it, and it's not really his job to be. I don't understand why he gets so much stage time just because Steve did in that role. It would be better if Tim just said a few words at the beginning and end, and then let more charismatic speakers do the rest.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
No more sleepless nights for me to watch Stevenotes here in the far east....:-(

I miss those days.:)