watching HD video with hi-res upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PurpleShaman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. PurpleShaman macrumors member

I've been pondering whether to get the hi res upgrade for my soon-to-be MBP 15''. I was curious as to how HD videos/movies would play with the hi-res. From what I have heard, this upgrade still wont support full 1080 right? will there be a big difference playing 720p on this upgraded screen vs. a non upgraded screen?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to either order the upgrade online at Apple.com or you can buy the top tier configuration from an Apple retail store. Some stores like B&H also have their own custom configurations that they sell.

Anyways, I don't think there is a different with 720p video or 1080p video. However with other content like pictures it looks nicer with more screen real estate n

3. PurpleShaman thread starter macrumors member

so...can the hi res upgrade on the 15'' play full 1080hd videos?

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Why wouldn't it be able to? Even though 1080p is a higher resolution than the 1680x1050 on the 15"

5. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

It'll play...just not scaled to the screen like with the 17".

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it scales quite well on my 990p MBP 15", the differences are quite hard to detect if you dont go looking.

playback will be fine - just use a good player :)

7. PurpleShaman thread starter macrumors member

interesting, does the scaled down 1080p on the hi res show jagged edges and choppy textures (the standard scaled-down problem)? I assume that the hi res would run 1080 better than the standard res then right?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i notice NO jagged edges on mine at all - i can confirm that in a little while for you if you like.

define "run better" then. the representation of the 1050p screen will certainly appear better to the trained eye :).

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You're worrying about nothing. The way a movie is decoded is different from a fixed size texture. It will smooth out perfectly as long as it's bigger than the display. It doesn't matter how big the video is relative to the screen as long as the video is bigger than the screen. Once you get to resolutions smaller than fits the screen it will suffer slightly depending on how much smaller.

Ie: HR 15" MBP: 1080p, sweet as. 720p, still, barely any difference from 1080p. 480p (DVD) This is DVD quality and will look average.