Watching HD youtube videos on umbp, why so jittery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Jul 4, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

I was testing out my umbp 2.4ghz (late 2008) on youtube hd videos and it seems to feel jittery or choking up. Does anyone go through the same problem? or is it my specs? Or better yet, is it normal?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Flash playback has been miserable in OS X for years.

4. hiram I macrumors newbie

Usually on youtube when I switch to HD through the flash player I rewind to the beginning and let the video load from there. If I don't rewind it I usually do notice it getting jittery and choking up. I switched over to OSX from linux so flash seems to work like a dream for me.

5. fpnc macrumors 68000

I have one of the 1st generation 13" Aluminum MacBooks (low-end 2GHz model) and I've got to say that I have very few problems with Flash or YouTube. In fact, I can watch the 720p content on Hulu and CBS without any issues. I'm running wireless on a Apple Airport Extreme with an extended network using an Airport Express (both set to 5GHz, 802.11n only mode).

Frankly, the only significant playback issues that I've seen were caused by network problems. I think the quality of your ISP and your network has more of an effect than anything else (unless the video servers are having problems, which certainly can happen). High resolution Flash video is processor intensive, but any of the recent MacBooks should be able to handle up to 720p as long as the browser is the only thing running and you have a good network connection.