Watching Hulu Outside The US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lexus, Aug 21, 2009.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I spend alot of time outside the US and like to watch Hulu whilst traveling. Until today I used a service called Surfbouncer which is like a proxy but today when I try use it Hulu I get the message:

Unfortunately, this video is not available on your platform. We apologize...

What does it mean exactly?

Thank you very much.

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

"Platform" probably means browser or operating system.

What OS and browser are you using, and are they different to what you usually use?

3. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Im running 10.5.8 and using Safari 4. I tried it in the latest version of firefox too. Does anyone know whats causing this?

Thanks

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Doesn't work for me. Granted I could be doing something incorrectly.

Anyhow, I receive the following error message:

Hulu Error Message.jpg

5. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

How about Tor?

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

7. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Have you tried Surfbouncer?

8. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

9. hromog macrumors newbie

Hulu - Surfbouncer - Mac

Apparently is the Mac. I have been using SurfBouncer for quite a while and it worked perfectly, until a few days ago that got the "unavailable platform" message, either is the Mac or surfBouncers IP somehow shows a platform that Hulu can block.
    I even downloaded Hulu desktop, it worked 1 Time then next video, same message.

DAMN! :mad:

Attached Files:

10. hromog macrumors newbie

It's SURFBOUNCER

It must be. I tried Surfbouncer and Hulu on Windows and SAME message, about the platform, somehow Hulu has blacklisted or blocked Surfbouncer IP's.

:( ... Well another 14.99 a month I'll save.

11. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Im curious to know what the hell is the problem with allowing people anywhere to use Hulu, or watch videos on Fox, NBC, etc. for that matter? Im not educated as far as what issues that may lead to, but it really sounds like a dumb idea.

12. MTI macrumors 65816

It's money. Broadcast rights are negotiated locally, not globally. Allowing Hulu worldwide would likely violate syndication rights sold outside the US.

13. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Because greedy producers are sitting in solid gold houses with diamond windows, but are still thinking "I only have 32 Lamborghinis, is that really enough?", so they have to have the cash to get into their Maybachs and buy another gold plated Lamborghini. But he wants to use the dealership in Monaco, so he must get into his G550 and pay his pilot to fly him there too!

And that is how copyright works, kids! Make a few people rich, screw over the world!

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I believe that Hulu has been updated to catch known proxies and deny service.

When you think about it, Apple has done very well with iTMS considering these types of issues around the world.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

something a friend of mine did to get around work blocking something is he turn his home computer into a private proxy.
    Something you could do is make your home computer and have it function as the proxy while you are out of town.

This would work because it is not going to get blacklisted like the others and it will not get a chance to be blacklisted because you can set it up to be private requiring a password and all to work.

Of course this is assuming that your home is in the US. As for how to do it well you are on your own for that because I do not know how.

16. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Set up a proxy at your house and then use it. It will not be blacklisted if you put it on a password protected part of your home server. Any old computer with a PII or G3 will most likely work. It just needs to be on 24/7 or just when you want to use it. Just google PHP proxy server and set it up. It should include instructions.

Or just get a VPN to your house and browse the internet through that.

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Oh c'mon - that's a load of BS.

He's gotta pay two pilots and a flight attendant for a G550. :p :p

18. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

19. ddiogyn macrumors member

20. DJ1231 macrumors newbie

After suffering the same loss of Hulu and finding this thread I emailed Surfbouncer about the problem. They replied back thanking me for the heads up and indicated they would solve the problem. Today I received an email indicating that they had a solution. I'm back on Hulu with Surfbouncer now. Send em an email and they'll fix the problem for you.

21. darrenprice macrumors newbie

I use VPN Supplier in Canada for Hulu & UK TV services, seems to work fine on firefox and chrome (http://www.vpnsupplier.com)

22. PeterWalkerxx macrumors newbie

I am watching HULU and Netflix from outside US with www.watchingtvabroad.com for a while now. I use my MAC and iPad with the same account. It is fast enough and reliable as well.