Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
hey i have a long oversea flight coming up, do you guys know if the below setup will work? google result is inconclusive, some say it does others say it doesnt..

1) download itune movie rentals to my macbook pro at home
2) once on the plane, with the internet off, play the downloaded itune movie.

Will it play? does it require internet? some of the reports are saying they get error message saying cannot connect to itune store etc... but those are from early 2009. Anyone know for a fact if this works, or not work?

thanks!

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
hey i have a long oversea flight coming up, do you guys know if the below setup will work? google result is inconclusive, some say it does others say it doesnt..

1) download itune movie rentals to my macbook pro at home
2) once on the plane, with the internet off, play the downloaded itune movie.

Will it play? does it require internet? some of the reports are saying they get error message saying cannot connect to itune store etc... but those are from early 2009. Anyone know for a fact if this works, or not work?

thanks!

Hi, yes you can play the movie offline at any time and as many times as you want within the rental period BUT and this is important, you MUST start the movie for the first time whilst online, you ONLY need to start it not watch it all the way through or anything this is just so it starts off the timer (you get two days to watch it) and it needs to communicate with the itunes store in order to do this.

Hope that helps,
Thanks,

John

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
thanks a lot that clears everything up!

i guess i have to put a reminder to start the movie the day i leave for the airport, since it's only a 24-48hr(?) rental.

wish apple would come up with a more elegant solution since they are all about the user experience..oh well as long as this works i am ok. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.