Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
hi guys
i was a windows person and shifted to mac and loving it. thinking of buying the TC 500 gb. TC cannot be plugged in with usb cable, are you guys able to watch movies stored on your TC directly on your mb without transferring the movies to your mb and what if your wireless connection is slow or there is no connection? with usb external hd it works just like your added hd of your computerso i am just worried about the wireless function on tc where if you want to watch a movie of 2.5 to 3.5gb blueray quality? i works gr8 with the usb drive i have just play and you are good to go but with wireless will it depend on the internet connection i have? and one last question can you connect it with usb to your mb? sorry for all these questions pls let me know thanks.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I use an Airport Extreme with a USB hard drive plugged in - essentially the same setup as Time Capsule.

Works a treat. I can stream 720p content and SD content without a hiccup. Of course, fast forwarding and rewinding (i.e. on the Apple TV) will be a bit stuttery as you are streaming the content (like fast forwarding on YouTube).

But it does work, and it works well.

gwihannom

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
I have a Time Capsule and run the setup that you are looking for. 500GB on TC is filled with media and document files that I share in my network, and I do not use Time Machine program to back up my MacBook Pro.

Anyway, all the PCs and Macs connect to Time Capsule and are able to play video files on it. I run it around 7000 sq ft of area, with walls and TVs and other variables around. I still have no problem. Transfer rate is slow though, don't expect the advertised or theoretical numbers.

abw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
thanks for your replies guys but does tc work on wireless internet or wireless bluetooth. i have a varying connection where i get speeds between 512kbps to 1mpbs is this connection is it ok?

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I think I'm right in saying that streaming content from a TC has nothing to do with your broadband speeds. Think of it as an internal wireless network, so theoretically, you should be able to stream at the full speed advertised on the TC router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.