All iPads Watching movies from a thumb drive on a mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jrm27, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I just picked up a mini the other day (which probably means the new one will be announced in a few weeks ;)). I jailbroke it the second I took it out of the box. I'm wondering if there is a way to hook up a USB thumbdrive, or a SD card loaded with movies to watch? I've heard "yes" and "no". Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm entertaining purchasing one of the seagate wireless drives, but I dont need that much space (unless there's a way to use the mini to backup up photos from an sd card to the seagate) and have plenty of thumbdrives to take with me when I travel. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible, and how to do it. Thanks!

I also have an ipad2, so it'd be awesome if the same solution (different peripherals of course) worked on both!

-jon

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Well, since I've been able to do it without JB'ing, I would have to say "yes" -- I believe JB'ing will only make it better. I use the new Lightning USB CCK, and I found an 8GB thumb drive that does not give the "requires too much power" error message. I had to make a DCIM folder, and then name the appropriately formatted (h.264, .mp4) movie file with an 8 character name with ".mp4" extension.

Then, when you plug it in, the movie file can be transferred to the camera roll. If you don't have a 3rd party video player that can access the camera roll, you're stuck with the camera roll viewer, which is even more feature-starved than the stock video player. Again, this is a non-JB limitation, I believe.

Regards,
    Tom