Watching movies from itunes on TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tim3822, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tim3822 macrumors newbie

I know this is a classic question, but wherever I look I seem to find different answers... so I'm going to try and put it to rest by asking you guys :).

I've got a Macbook Pro 15", and painstakingly ripped nearly my whole DVD collection (and that's a lot of DVD's!) to my Mac's HDD. I'm moving away to University in January, and will have a HD telly with me (lucky!!!). Now I won't have a huge amount of space so can't take my mammoth sized DVD collection, hence why I saved it all on my Mac. I want to be able to hook my Mac up to the TV's HDMI port and watch my movies on there. Also I have a few iTunes HD movie purchases (i.e. Tron:Legacy) and would like to watch them in HD. I have found all kinds of conflicting messages, ranging from can't do it without Apple TV and that only SD versions will play. Can anyone shed some light on this please? I don't want to order all the cables I think I need to find out I can't actually do what I wanted to do in the first place!

Thanks in advance :)

Tim

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

The only reason it wouldn't work is if something in the chain didn't support HDCP, and that would only affect HD stuff. Your ripped DVDs will work just fine.