Watching movies in portrait mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheMacBookPro, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hey,

This (http://www.viddler.com/explore/Tuaw/videos/64/) shows that you could watch videos in portrait mode in FW 2.0. I can't seem to figure it out... my iPod touch 32GB stays the same whether it's in portrait or landscape mode. I'm running 2.0, 3a347. Did they pull this function or is it only available in the iPhone? I was really looking forward to this function... Thanks.

TheMacBookPro

2. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Wow. Nope - can't do it in official firmware. :(
    Suppose it's not necessary - what do you want it for?

SuperMacMan

3. henchosbandito macrumors member

While checking to see if this actually worked, i made a fantstic discovery! It always bugged me having to watch movies with the headphone jack at the top right of the screen. Turn iphone/Touch round 180 degrees and VOILA! You can now watch movies at both orientations. As far as potrait viewing goes i think this may only apply to music videos

4. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

If you stream Quicktime movies you can watch movies in portrait.

5. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

You didn't know that?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Whoa.....

6. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Oh, just incase you didn't know, that has been a feature since like the 1st iPhone ever made!

SuperMacMan

7. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Yes, that's also true for all iPhone/iPod Touches since like the 1st ones made.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Video Podcasts that show up in the music app can be player in portrait or horzontal. Music videos too. Watch the same video from the video app and you're stuck with horizontal mode. I'm guessing if you change the genre of your video to podcast it'll play both places, and both orientation.

9. henchosbandito macrumors member

No! i had an ipod Touch pretty much since they came out and started watching TV programmes as soon as they were available and i know i definitely tried viewing the other way round. Must have been problem with the software.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have looked on my touch and I never have recently played in the playlists, this must be an iphone only feature? best I can do is play via video app and have 1 orientation

11. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Well most Docks-Speaker only allow the Phone/Touch to dock Horizontally, so it would be useful for that, why can't they give us a choice.

12. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I want to watch movies in my phone dock thing in my car while in a traffic jam. ;)

Is it there in the 5a225c FW I got from my friend, a developer (or so he says)? I REALLY want it, lol. And why the 'Wow.'?

How do I do that? Sorry, I'm a n00b :D

13. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

how can you do that? play video in music section. don't play in video section. I actually discovered this during playing songs in shuffle mode. as you know, music videos are also played in music section. it shows like portrait mode. I was excited. you can also watch that landscape mode in music section during playing. oh, now you can also watch all video left side tilt landscape, right side tilt landscape just like photos.

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It never did it for me in ANY versions of the firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4, and I noticed it last night just after I installed 2.0, so either we're a rare couple of people whose old firmware was faulty in that regard, or the person saying it's always been there is just screwing with us.

And about watching it in portrait mode, as has been said you have to select the music video from the Music app, not Videos.

15. TheMacBookPro, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

16. Munimula macrumors newbie

Not just for Music Videos for Sure.

Just add your movies to a playlist, and select them in the Music section of your iPod/iPhone. Yeah, it is possible that somebody already said this, but I'm still stoked from finally being able to watch my Jeff Dunham videos at work while my iPod is vertically docked on my stereo, I didn't bother reading all replies.:)

You can even zoom the video full screen or watch 'letterboxed', and rotating the iPod does just what you would expect.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Didn't work on either of mine until the 2.0 update. And yes, I tried. ;)

18. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Liar liar pants on fire! :p

19. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Okay, on 2nd check, no, you couldn't switch the device round 180• To watch the other ways. Sorry about that post. I was wrong, sorry for doubting you.

20. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

BUT: Yes QuickTime streams have always been able to be watched in portarait, left & right horizontal. That I know is true.

21. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Yes true that's a good excuse. But you mean vertical, right?

22. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Okay, to clear things up:
    - I BELIEVE (not sure) that you can now watch videos at 180• & 90• Too. Will check that later...
    - You can watch music videos & podcasts in portrait if accessed through music app not video app. This is new in 2.0
    - You can watch QuickTime streams in portrait, 180•, and 90•. This has existed since 1.1.2 that I know of personally.
    - I am sorry for the wrong info that I said in my previous posts.

SuperMacMan