Watching movies on a mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 06Honda, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 06Honda macrumors regular

Came across a site called movie2k that offers free movies. Was wondering if this site and others like it are good to watch movies and wont infect my mac with junk or adware stuff. Site suggestions are welcome.

2. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

This site does not only offer "free" movies and TV shows, but is also an illegal streaming service, like the former infamous kino.to, which is now under investigation. The providers are incarcerated and some avid users have surely also been investigated.
    I'd keep my hand off of it, if I were you!!

Generally speaking, it is nearly impossible to get malicious software installed without giving it permission by entering your password.
    In that aspect, OS X works inherently differently than Windows. It has no registry that can get infested and far stricter permissions that apps have to deal with.

However, bad cookies, malicious flash files and other stuff can do stuff to your browser that you want to prevent by reviewing and adapting your browser settings to your needs!

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Often these free websites ask for a "codec" or some "flash" to install so you can play the videos for free. Which is rubbish and they're most likely just installing a virus.

Besides, the quality and compression is really bad anyway.

4. 06Honda, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks very much for this info. Will not use this specific site.

** Update: Decided to just buy an ITunes card and do it that way, legal and safe.