Watching Movies on a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alpha.K, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Alpha.K macrumors member

I noticed that SD movies my MBP appear lower quality than the same movies on DVD when playing on my DVD player which upscales to 1080p and is connected to a 720p TV. I was wondering why there was a quality difference? Thanks.

2. Heavertron macrumors regular

Which player are you using? Mplayer or VLC have various playback options. I prefer VLC myself.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

The resolution of your MacBook Pro's screen is higher than the resolution of your TV.

4. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Well assuming your MBP is not older than like 3 years, this shouldn't be the case. I like Heavertron's suggestion of VLC player

5. schizbomb macrumors 6502

Are you saying that a certain DVD looks better on your TV than your MBP?

If so, it could be because you're sitting closer to your MBP, because your TV has better output, or the DVD player does a better job upscaling, or all of these.

-Or-

Are you saying that you watch a movie on DVD on your TV, then watch it as an SD movie file on the MBP?

If it's this, it's because the movie file is most likely compressed down.

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It's because your DVD player is upscaling and the quality of the movie on your computer is SD, it doesn't upscale. Try watching an HD movie trailer from Apple and see how that displays.

7. Alpha.K thread starter macrumors member

It's a 2011 15" MBP with the 1440x900 screen. I think that the reason that there is a difference is because VLC does not upscale as well as the DVD player. So I guess I'll be downloading HD movies from now on, oh well thanks for the help guys.