Watching movies on Mac with iOS device

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2ms, May 23, 2019.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to store movies on your Mac but watch them on your iPad? I would like to have a library of movies to watch located on my iMac, but be able to watch them with my iPad in another room.

If there is not a way to do that, could someone tell me what the best way to just copy them to the iPad and watch the, from there? I’ve actually never watched anything other than YouTube on my iPad, so I don’t know how to watch anything else on it, what kind of files it uses, where to store them, etc?

Whatever advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. HDFan macrumors 65816

Store movies - what is their source, format? Where are they on your Mac?

Easiest answer: Media servers, such as Plex and Infuse, allow you to stream to devices both local and remotely.

3. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you know what movie formats iOS will play natively? I guess I could convert them to that.

4. madeirabhoy, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

Plex.

does everything you need and more. I have my whole movies and tv series stuff on my Mac, and I stream through Plex. it gets all the covers, summaries, remembers what episodes you've seen, and streams locally and over the internet to all devices. And you don't have to convert anything, I just download and lob everything into a folder whether its avi or mp4 or mkv or anything. the server is free and you can watch on a computer for free but I think the iOS app is about 3 euro

5. HDFan macrumors 65816

If you use a media server it will convert a rip (often an .mkv) to a format which is compatible with IOS.