Watching NBA on HDTV via iPad 1 or 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by springy1607, May 3, 2011.

1. springy1607 macrumors newbie

Hi All

I hope somebody here will be able to help me.....

I'm based in the UK and want to watch NBA but our coverage is nothing short of crap! I'm thinking of purchasing league pass for the rest of the season to get me through the finals but really don't want to watch on my 13" Macbook (2008).

I was going to buy Apple TV but International League Pass does not work and if reports are true the iPhone/iPad apps cant airplay.

So... I have an iPad 1 and its not jailbroken (but I can if required) and I essentially want to be able to watch the games through Game Time on my HDTV, now I understand TVOUT2 or Displayout should be able to mirror this with Apples TV Digital Adaptor? Has anybody tried this and what is the quality like on a big screen?

I have essentially the same question if I upgrade to iPad 2 and do the same thing without jailbreaking. Does the NBA App allow the games to play on the tv and again what is the quality like?

I have Googled and MRoogled this but couldnt find any clear cut answers so any help would be appreciated!

Thank You!

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

The NBA Game Time app DOES NOT play any of the Playoff games, even if you are a League Pass subscriber. I almost signed up for 16.99 USD right before the Playoffs started. I'm sure glad I didn't.

3. paddyi macrumors member

Yes it does, but you have to buy the additional playoff package. NBA League pass doesn't play any of the playoff games unless you purchase the additional playoff package.

OP, I haven't done what you're suggesting myself, but I'm pretty certain it would work fine - I don't think it would be possible to block any video to a TV with a direct connection from an iPad 2 to an HDTV.

In response to a couple of other things you mentioned, yes, annoyingly the Apple TV update has included Baseball in the United Kingdom but not basketball (yet, anyway).

And yes airplay doesn't work from the NBA Game Time app to Apple TV. Audio works fine but video doesn't.

I've just been watching games direct on my iPad 2 which has been fine. I only wish when the broadcast goes to commercial breaks that the Game Time app showed them too - would be far more entertaining than the 3 or 4 'Greatest Playoff moments' they're showing' or the endless 'Game break in progress' screen and its equally annoying music.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Really? The app doesn't show an option for me to buy it on the app. Do I have to go through NBA.com to get it?

Attached Files:

5. paddyi macrumors member

Yep from my recollection I just logged into my league pass account from my laptop and bought the additional package from there. The night before the 1st rd of the playoffs started they should have emailed you to with a link to upgrade.

Once you've bought additional package log back into the Game Time app and it should work fine - condensed (15min) and full version of every game.

Just to make sure have you got the full version of the Game Time app - not the Lite version?

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

There isn't a lite version. I haven't used League Pass before so that's probably why it's not an option on the app.

7. paddyi macrumors member

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That's my fault. I assumed since Game Time is free, there wasn't a lite version. I've never even seen the lite version before. Per the screenshots, it looks like you can 'upgrade' and watch live games. I don't get that option in my version. I'll download this and poke around.

EDIT* Just figured it out. There isn't a lite version in the US store. When I try to download the one you linked, I get an error. :)

EDIT 2* Here's the link to the one I use that doesn't have a lite version.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nba-game-time-2010-2011/id335744614?mt=8

9. paddyi macrumors member

I was just wondering if that was the case. When you search for NBA Game Time on iTunes over here you get the main version which is £1.79 and the lite version which is free.

10. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

I'm actually interested in that very thing as well. I'm in L.A. (home of the 2-time champs. :D) and I only re-subscribed to cable (Time Warner) to get the Playoff games. The finals will be on ABC, so that doesn't matter. No need for cable for that.

I wouldn't mind watching the games on my 27" iMac, although for those of you who have recent Mac's, there is a miniDP to HDMI adapter that's supposed to output both video and audio (only in the 2010 and later versions of iMac and MBP). What kind of quality can I expect? I'd be ok with 720p.

To the OP: You need to find a friend in the U.S. who will let you use their SlingBox. :D That's how I get my U.S. TV with all the commercials, etc., internationally. This is allowed based on time and place shifting laws.

11. springy1607 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your input.

paddyi I'm pretty sure it would work too, our local Apple Store used to have an apple tv setup I was kinda hoping i hook up and test it but they no longer have Apple TV on demo.

I'm half tempted to buy a Digital Adaptor for £35 odd and try it with my iPad 1 but I'm not sure it'd be as flawless as iPad 2 plus the league pass still isn't exactly cheap at £66.

Crunch, I'm surprised I couldn't find more info on this tbh, I even searched for details of MLB as I guess it'd be the same kinda setup. I'm probably drawing blanks as NBA is a US sport and most of the fans get cable etc

I do have friends in Florida but they don't have cable never mind a slingbox!

12. Crunch, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

springy, this all has to do with the rights to broadcast the games and you'd be surprised at the funny rules we have here in the U.S. in some TV "markets". I'm not sure that means anything to you as the system in the UK (and most other countries I dare suggest) is quite different. I actually found a solution for my situation but it's not what I thought that I might be able to uncover (a live HD stream), but it's still saving me the need to buy a 2nd TV and a whole bunch of hassles with the cable co.

As for the Apple TV, those Season Passes for MLB, NBA, amongst others, is for the 82-game regular season that every team plays, but not the Playoffs or the Finals. Someone correct me if that's inaccurate.

Check your PM, btw. If I can help you out, I will. ;-)

Edit: Looks like you're blocking private messages?