Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Folks, I'm pretty new here, and I need your help.

My Mac mini's on it's way, and at the moment I've held off buying a beautiful cinema display because I don't know how I'd get TV into it.

I've read the descriptions of the products on the Apple website for adding TV and/or PVR capabilities to a Mac and I'm none the wiser. Gimme your wisdom!

I have Sky+, and an output from the box travels along a normal UK TV aerial cable to a booster in the loft and then to other TV's in the house. It's just that standard socket that fits into all TV's. Each TV can then tune into the standard analogue channels plus a channel that displays whatever the Sky+ box is showing just from having the cable plugged in.

I want to get rid of my TV and put this cable into my Mac mini (outputting to Cinema display) instead. I then want to be able to tune it to receive the standard analogue channels and Sky, just like you would any standard TV.

As you can tell, I'm very confused. Please set me right! This is my first Mac and I'm determined for it to be fantastic fun :D

miniConvert

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Wow, Ok :D Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I have to buy the 23" Cinema display now (I'm assuming that'd work fine with the mini) *gulp*! It'd be a fantastic setup though, I don't think I can resist. Thanks again for clearing up my confusion!!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Lol! Yeah those ACD screens shure are beautiful. I would suggest that you have a look at the slightly larger Dell screens. You might be able to get a 26" screen for the price of the 23" ACD. They use the same panels as the ACDs I think. Worth having a look. Mind you... I'd probably still get the ACD.

PS Nice mini! I'm patiently waiting for mine, a Core Duo with 1 gig. I can't wait!!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Yes, Dell's are tempting going on price - I've got two 20s of theirs sat infront of me now. Sure, the image quality is fantastic and the price was right, but hell, I think it's going to be one of those financially catastrophic heart-over-head decisions where the beauty of the ACD and the combined look of it towering over a Mac mini will win over.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one waiting for their Mini! Isn't it excruciating?!?! ;)

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Update: It's done!

Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
1 Harman Kardon Soundsticks II 2.1 speakers
1 AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple Display

I picked up the EyeTV from macheaven.co.uk as they had stock.

Exciting stuff :D The TV in my bedroom is now looking for a new home! :D

coot

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2005
UK
I've got something similar:

Mac mini
Soundsticks ( theyre great :) )
Eye TV DTT ( just for freeview, tempted for the EZ model to record from Sky on the other mini, whenever that turns up! )
Connected to a 50in Samsung DLP
BT keyboard/mouse to make things look tidy for the doris.

Works very well, and front row on a big screen is nice.

Cheers,

Pete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.