Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dear AppleTV2 owners

What is your experience streaming photos from your iphoto library?
I currently use connect360 and an xbox360 to watch my pictures on the TV and the loading time for every picture is bugging me.
Also, does it bug you that the pictures are only displayed at 720p?

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
The Apple TV sucks for streaming photos from either iPhoto, Aperture or a folder.

Why the hell can't it just mirror your folder structure. It just puts everything in a long list not even alphabetical order.

Pathetic.

Speed wise it's quick photos load quickly.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Works great! Fairly speedy and I believe it will cache photos permanently at least if used for the screensaver as it seems to have done that with mine (note: I only selected a portion of my photos to use with the screensaver.)

IT's about expectations too I guess.

I mean if you expect the moon and then some you are bound to be disappointed.

I found you can stream whatever you want from iPHoto, put music to it, and select from a handful of slideshows formats if you want to.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
It's been working very well for me. I have a 14K+ photo iphoto library, and breaking it out by albums it does very well.

Slideshows are good, though that Origami theme slideshow looked better in Jobs demo than it does on my TV. Could have been the photos too, but eh...to each his own.

It's speedy, but you have to give it a bit of leeway for larger albums and your own LAN speeds. YMMV.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
The Apple TV sucks for streaming photos from either iPhoto, Aperture or a folder.

Why the hell can't it just mirror your folder structure. It just puts everything in a long list not even alphabetical order.

Pathetic.

Speed wise it's quick photos load quickly.

It's the same way every other iOS device handles photos. I organize my photos within Win7 by the date taken. But iTunes just dumps them all into one folder on the devices starting with the oldest. God forbid I want to look at a photo of my two year old from last week. (scroll, scroll, scroll....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.