Watching Sporting Events on IPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by swalk, Feb 18, 2011.

1. swalk macrumors newbie

Hello, first time poster here so forgive my naiveity. Your discussions are great.

I enjoy watching sporting events online through sites such as atdhe.net and other similar url's (except Justin.tv) on my Macbook Pro 17" for several years.

I'm thinking about buying an IPad but I'm not sure that these sites would work because of the lack of flash. Has anybody tried to use these sites with IPad, and if so how well does it work?

Since this is a big chunk of my browsing experience, I likely won't get an IPad if this is an issue. Does anybody know if other tablets work successfully with these websites?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sam

2. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the forums :)
    I guess if your sites are all flash, then those Adroid Tablets would be good for you ( The Motorola Xoom coming out soon, the new Samsung Galaxy tab 2 shown this week in Barcelona) all support Flash websites .. and if you can wait a bit longer ... than this Summer the HP Touchpad running WebOS is coming out. And Lastly RIM has the Playbook Tablet (7inch) that can run Flash websites too ..( this one is supposed to come out this spring)

Unless your Websites are HTML5 ... I dont think the iPad will run them ... And you are gona have to go down the App way to view sporting events.Has anyone got a good App for Sport viewing on the iPad ???

3. OSMac, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

Many channels on veetle.com work on the iPhone and iPad.
    Depends what you want but the bigger European soccer games can usually be found on veetle.

Flash sites do not work on ios, but flash video sites on android ran rather poorly as well on the galaxy tab I tried.

Really need to use a PC if streaming flash is important, but I have used an iPad and veetle to watch many games.

Asus ep121 tablet runs windows 7 and is great for streaming, but about 3 hours battery life so might need a plug near by.

4. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

5. swalk thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess this brings me to my next point (which I might duplicate in a new thread).

I would manly use a tablet as another option for watching streaming video/movies/sporting events as well using it as a kindle/e-book reader. I'm not really into taking photos or videos so a camera isn't a big deal.

What tablet would likely be the best fit for me? I'm thinking about getting the IPad 2 just because Mac products have been so reliable for me, but I'm skiddish about the lack of flash.

If you have any suggestion or can direct me to a site/message board that could help, that would be great.

FYI: I'm in Canada

Sam

6. redshift1 macrumors regular

Most in the Android and Apple communities are waiting for the new tablets scheduled to be released this spring and summer. By then the hands on reviews should be available. One of the advantages of the Ipad is its ability to run Netflix and Kindle apps right now. With the non ios tablets those apps are still forthcoming.

http://www.kindleboards.com/

http://androidforums.com/

7. OSMac, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

Again if you must have flash then the Asus EP121 is the best tablet as it runs Windows 7 so it steams everything, but touch on windows is not as polished as touch on a iPad. It also costs $1100 for the 64gb model and has a fan running all the time. If your going that route consider just a laptop instead, cheaper, battery lasts longer, and win7 works best with a kb and trackpad/mouse.

Current android tablets run flash but not as well as on a windows machine. Soon many next gen android tablets and other os tablets are coming that should handle flash better but will lack the large app library the iPad has. Also many sites have iPad specific video like veetle, NHL game center , MLB, netflix that may not be available elsewhere.

I've used the iPad, Asus 121 and Galaxy Tab, and the iPad is by far the best tablet made. It's interface is smooth and polished, has a great selection of quality apps and what it does stream it streams very well. When I need flash and that is less and less, I use my laptop.

For reading the iPad offers kindle, iBooks and goodreader is great for PDFs.

Your in Canada so if you purchase an iPad, Asus 121 or other tablet from Bestbuy they have a return policy if it's not right for you. I'd recommend the iPad and just accept it will not stream flash but you'll see what it does stream and offer it does very well.

8. speedtriple09 macrumors newbie

I stream sports off the web sites like channelsurf.eu and atdhe etc... on my ipad. I didn't see how I do it listed so I thought I'd share.

The lack of flash is my only complaint about the ipad. otherwise works as I want it.

To get around flash issue and allow veetle et al to run, I use Splashtop on the ipad if I am at home. IT allows you to control your mac on your ipad, meaning your mac desktop and everything shows up on your ipad. therefor you may run all your mac apps and then you can use firefox and (flash) and veetle on the ipad..... works awesome.

if on the road, I use Log Me In on the ipad and it remotely lets you do what Splashtop does. That being said, logmein currently doesnt allow audio to stream over like splashtop does...... I am optimistic that will be fixed.

Hope that helps.

9. swalk thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds great, thanks for the help. Stupid question, is Splashtop available as an Ipad app? Is it fairly easy to sync? How much does it cost? Thanks