Watching Superbowl on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mrholder, Jan 30, 2017.

1. mrholder macrumors regular

I've been tasked to play part of Superbowl 2017 at our church gym after a concert.
    The church has a projector, and I have an Apple TV 3 and an Iphone 6S Plus with Verizon, and the
    NFL Mobile App. The church has wifi, or I can play the game on my iPhone data free through Verizon.
    Is it possible to Airplay the game to the Apple TV and project it on the wall or screen?
    Will I need to do it through the NFL mobile app or Fox Sports Now?
    I'm going to do a dry run Wednesday night to try everything out.

2. mawool01 macrumors member

mawool01

Check out this link. It may help.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-watch-super-bowl-li/

I have the ATV 4 and I can download the Fox Sports Go app. I remember that my old ATV3 had some apps (provided by apple) on it but not sure about that one. I am not sure if NFL app you mentioned or if the Fox Sports Go app allows for airplay.

3. mrholder thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I think mine might have shipped with that app, since I can't download it. I will check when I get home.

4. Hoosier317, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I used the Fox Sports Go app last weekend for the first time to watch the 24 hour Daytona sports car race. It had amazingly stable and good video all though the event - both on my iMac and iPad. I was impressed, especially since it was on three different FOX channels at various times. Based on that, I'd say it would be a robust solution for your Super Bowl endeavor assuming you can get it linked properly to the projector. Good Luck!

6. hinesmj macrumors regular

You can download the fox sports go app to your iphone and airplay to the apple tv. However, you may need a cable login to do so, so you might want to lock that down first. Also, if it's a viewing party, you should probably test it out beforehand to ensure the connection and stream are stable. Wouldn't want to be buffering in front of a whole crowd of people.

7. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

FYI I would have a backup plan. I wouldn't trust FSGO App on SUPER BOWL SUNDAY of all days. I was buffering during the NFC championship game. If you can find anyway to get an antenna with your situation, I would highly recommend that to avoid a lot of disappointed people.

8. mrholder thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I will see if I can get an antenna.

9. Hym tix, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

Hym tix macrumors member

Hym tix

Hats off to FoxSports. The app worked flawlessly for me on iPad and no cable service sign-in / handoff shenanigans required. What a game.

So how did things go at the church event?

Edit: I switched to watching on the app midway thru the game, apparently it was after FoxSports had the huge outage for app/mobile viewers

10. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I was just wondering how things went with this thread too.

I started the Super Bowl on my AppleTV...just because.
    then my wife said it was freezing and blotchy at times. so we switched to Fios TV.

I think the FIOS local Fox channel on TV did not look as clear as the Streaming version...when it was working without freezing or blotchiness.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I watched 3/4 of the game on DirecTVnow app, worked flawlessly which is something I couldn't say about the service before. So kudos to them for handling the load just fine.

12. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Fox Sports Go experienced a pretty large outage on Super Bowl Sunday. I checked Twitter at that time and a ton of other people were complaining. They managed to get it back up and running for everyone within a few minutes. It was pretty wise advice to say to avoid Fox Sports Go for something that big. Fortunately I'm not big on football and was kind of playing it as an afterthought, but it looked like a lot of people were very upset.

13. Soondae macrumors member

Soondae

I used the Sling TV App and watched the entire game and post game show with no issues; great quality from the local FOX network Sling TV supports.