Watching TV on my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by virtual, Apr 11, 2007.

1. virtual macrumors member

I have a small room so I would like to get rid of my big fat TV, and instead use my iMac to watch TV.

My question is though, which product should I get, the Elgato EyeTV or the Miglia TVMini?

Now, I am pretty clueless when it comes to TV's in general. I live in England and I have an attic aerial that I currently connect my TV to - the TV doesn't have Freeview on it.

So, my second set of questions is can I connect these two products to this connector I have from my attic aerial, how would I go about getting Freeview on it?

Also, with Elgato's range of products, they have a £100 version (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=TL043) and a £60 version (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E0B8&nplm=TJ827). Would the £60 version be perfectly fine for what I want? What advantages does the £100 version have over it?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have a Miglia TVMini hooked up to the rooftop aerial. Works perfectly.

The Elgato EyeTV Diversity can have 2 aerials connected to it so you can watch 2 channels at once or record one and watch the other. Which is the major addition over the £60 versions.

Make sure you get one with eyeTV 2 as it is the best TV viewing application on the mac platform.

Migilia recently lost the rights to distribute EyeTV with their products so check carefully that they come with Eyetv.

The links you provided don't fully work. (The apple store is very bad a sustaining links)

To get Freeview on it just plug it in, as long as the USB stick supports freeview then you should get it on your mac, assuming you have good freeview coverage.

3. Grasbak macrumors 6502

eyeTV for DTT gets my vote!

As said above, the main weakness is, you cant record and watch another channel at the same time. However, not too much of a problem for me - remember you can watch a recording whilst recording live tv. I find as long as I plan my viewing its not a problem - lots of programms are repeated (on BBC3 and the '+1' channels etc). I guess it depends on how much TV you watch.....

Scheduling recordings is really easy - i think its a great package.