Watching TV on my iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dogmac, Mar 1, 2008.

1. dogmac macrumors newbie

Hi Folks.
    I have a Dish Network satellite receiver and I would like to use my iMac G4 as a TV monitor. I don't need recording capability because my satellite receiver is also a DVR. I just want to watch TV on my Mac using the signal from my Dish receiver. Can anyone please tell me what hardware and software I need?
    Thanks.

2. blacksheepblues macrumors newbie

Elgato Eyetv

The best way to do that is probably using an Eyetv tuner like this one:
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=46E43AB&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/video_devices&nplm=TJ827

which only costs about £40. This also lets you record, but you wouldn't need to use that feature if you didn't want. It comes with really good software, and also works with apple remote which is a nice bonus. I've used one for about 2 years and had no problems with it at all.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

4. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Hey, I had a question about the EyeTV for those of you that recommended it.. Now can you just hook up a satellite box and receive satellite signal? Or how does this work? Will it just pick up local programming? After I record, can I easily import into iTunes? thanks guys/girls!

5. blacksheepblues macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how it works with satellite boxes, they might sell a specific product for that so check their website http://www.elgato.com. I just plug mine into the TV socket in the wall and get analogue and digital signal just fine.

It's easy to export stuff to iTunes, just hit a button on the toolbar whilst in the Eyetv application and it will automatically start exporting, and you can fiddle around with the settings and everything. The only drawback is that it takes an absolute age to do and seems to be quite processor intensive.

6. jfull15 macrumors 6502