Watching TV on the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by khamla, Oct 24, 2008.

1. khamla macrumors member

Hello i'm new here and just bought an iMac last month. I wanted to know if there was a free application out there that would let you watch local tv shows on your Mac or not?

In short, I just want to watch TV on my iMac. Does this make sense? Any recommendations would be helpful thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

not free, but theres EyeTV that will let you watch digital television and the software lets you convert it to iTunes format. look here to see whihc one is best for you.

but theres also there YouTube like sites that may let you watch TV Shows in your region but probably are illegal.

3. minijon macrumors member

I hadn't thought about that. But that might be a good way to get stuff from my DVR onto a DVD so I can free up some hours. Does anyone have any reports on the quality of the analogue encoding with a Penryn MBP?

4. khamla thread starter macrumors member

Hmm is there anything else? I guess it doesn't have to be free. A good software, Mac friendly that you can just use to watch regular tv? I like that EyeTv thing, just want to see if there are other things to compare.

5. kolax macrumors G3

+1 for EyeTV.

Great software. I have the EyeTV Diversity stick so I can watch two stations at once, record one and watch another or record two at once.