watching video on a remote computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ashokc, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ashokc macrumors member

is there any way to do this. I am using chicken vnc to connect to a windows machine and can only ever view the desktop and not what is playing in any video application. I have tried using vlc , quicktime and media player on the remote machine but only ever get a blank dark screen.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think you'll need to modify the settings on the "server" computer. There's a setting in there that allows you to send/not send video so as to save bandwidth. Either way, I think it'll play lousy, unless you have a ridiculously fast network.

If you're able to connect to the windows machine, why not just find the video file and play it on the Mac? Unless the Mac doesn't have the power to play that particular file or the file is DRM for windows only.

ft

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In general video on Windows uses part of DirectX to effectively bypass the video driver and go straight through to the screen, thus VNC can't see it. If you disable DirectX performance will lag. Much easier to share the file, but have the client do the decoding.

B

4. KershMan macrumors 6502

Make the video an .mp4. Put it in iTunes and share the iTunes library, connect from your other computer to the shared iTunes library, and play away. I have a old PowerMac in the house that is the file/media server that everyone connects to watch movies from its iTunes library. Works like a champ.

5. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I just converted one of our dvds to mp4 format, using handbrake (AppleTV template). I imported it into iTunes.

The movie plays on the local computer. However, I can't get it to play on my remote computers. I am able to see the movie, and can play all of my shared music...but am unable to play the darn thing.

Is there a setting in iTunes to enable movie sharing, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks!