HomePod Watching Video on ipad and sound on homepod?

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Hello,
I would like to watch a video on the ipad and stream the sound on a homepod or an airplay speaker. If I see it right, it is not possible to output the sound on a 400$ Homepod and see the picture at the same time, but it works with any normal 10$ Bluetooth speaker?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2012
England
Hello,
I would like to watch a video on the ipad and stream the sound on a homepod or an airplay speaker. If I see it right, it is not possible to output the sound on a 400$ Homepod and see the picture at the same time, but it works with any normal 10$ Bluetooth speaker?
You see it wrong, you most certainly can do what you want.

Reactions: chabig

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Make sure you're on the same WiFi network if you are having issues. You 100% can AirPlay to a HomePod from an iPad.

tpiselli

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2016
Was there any resolution to this? I'm seeing the same behavior: Start a video podcast on my iPad with the audio playing on the iPad. Select a HomePod as a 'Speaker & TV' and the video stops on the iPad while the audio plays on the HomePod. Select a $10 bluetooth speaker (as a headphone ?) and the video starts again on the iPad and the audio plays out of the bluetooth speaker.
Is there no way to have AirPlay only have the audio play on the HomePod while the video stays on the iPad.
If I watch the same podcast on an Apple TV the video plays on the TV and the audio can play on the HomePod so it seems like an iPad/iPhone implementation issue.

axantas

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I just tested this: Start movie from my locally stored files on an iPad. Selected the HomePod as Speaker.
Works perfect. Video on the iPad (after tapping the menu away) Audio on the HomePod

tpiselli

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2016
I just tested this: Start movie from my locally stored files on an iPad. Selected the HomePod as Speaker.
Works perfect. Video on the iPad (after tapping the menu away) Audio on the HomePod
Ok; I can verify the above behavior with the AppleTV app; it will play the video on the iOS device and have the audio run through the HomePod but, this is not the behavior of the Apple Podcast app. With that app, a video podcast will not show the video in the Podcast app if you select a HomePod as the speaker. In the Podcast app, the video stops once you select the HomePod as the speaker.