watching videos on a MB or MBP??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joyride, Mar 15, 2008.

1. joyride macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Other than a larger screen, does the MBP offer any advantage over the MB for watching DVD's? I don't do any gaming, but I do use my notebook to catch up on movies and entertainment frequently. Just wondering if the extra price is worth it. Will the 13" black MB suffice for video watching? Also, how about the sound speakers? I know that no notebook speakers are going to be great, but is there a huge difference between the MB and MBP? Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The speakers on the MBP will be better, otherwise no.

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

The speakers sound better on the MacBook Pro, and you have a higher screen resolution (1280x800 vs 1440x900), not to mention the difference in graphics processing units - the MacBook has integrated Intel graphics and the MacBook Pro has dedicated NVIDIA graphics. If you're planning on watching any HD content frequently or sending the video to a larger monitor, you might want to lean towards the MBP, otherwise a MB will be fine.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've got a black 2.2 MacBook and a 17" 2.33 MBP; the BlackBook gets used for video watching... but the display on the MBP is matte with far fewer reflections, less directional, far better blacks and overall colour but the Blackbook is smaller and lighter, much handier for lounging around with.

For me, it's a convenience tradeoff issue. Audio is not an issue; I use headphones.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If the only reason you will need the MBP for is the larger screen, it's not worth it. Invest in a set of speakers and an external monitor if you really want larger video. The resolution of a DVD is less than the screen of a MacBook, so that would technically look crisper if the pixels weren't spread out over a larger area. Go with the MacBook, there's no need to spend all that extra money on something you don't need.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

1. Buy MacBook; it will do your DVDs just fine, off of the discs or ripped or transcoded with Handbrake.

2. With the money you'd save over a MBP, you could buy a real nice Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system and a 30" LCD TV to go with it.