Watching videos on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Lucamegh, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Lucamegh macrumors member

I know, the display is tiny and the idea might sound silly for some of you but, do you believe that watching short video clips on the Apple Watch could be cool? I'm looking forward to that but I don't think it is going to happen...

2. mcz51221zz macrumors newbie

I see it as monitoring for home security purposes or a baby monitor. Maybe facetime to come in future version but not really sure why you would want to face time with someone on your watch.

3. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Why? I mean seriously, why? You pretty much have to have the iPhone near by for the thing to do much of anything. So, why would want to when you have 4"-5.5" screen right next to you?

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

How about this: your security system detects movement, it tells the watch to tap you to get your attention, you look at the video display on the watch and see if it's worth taking out your phone to look more closely? I agree that for movies or TV shows, the screen is just too tiny when you have a phone right there in your pocket. But I can see uses for other forms of video.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's funny how users here are already trying to turn the Apple watch into a iPhone on the wrist. Exactly what Apple doesn't want.

6. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

good idea.

7. technosix macrumors 6502a

Studying the Watch, I haven't noticed what role an iPhone plays to make it mandatory, I must have missed it.

Anyone have a link that tells what role the watch plays?

8. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering that when I saw instagram made an app. Wonder if the videos play or just show a freeze frame

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Not a link, but for the most part there are no dedicated watch apps (except a few that come preinstalled). All watch apps in the store are actually phone apps with watch extensions, where the watch basically acts as a menu display/input device for the part that runs on the phone. That's how the current WatchKit SDK works.

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

Thank You, that's an excellent explanation. :)

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Actually Vine would be perfect for the Apple Watch. The videos better fit the aspect ratio, and the clips themselves are very short.

12. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

There's no built in apps to watch videos, and third party apps don't have the possibility to play video (or even audio actually) at this time. Closest that can be done is to display sequences of photos to simulate that

13. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

I know it's ridiculous, but I wouldn't mind having a couple of choice movie clips stored on my watch just for fun. Maybe the trench run from Star Wars, and the final fight seen from The Matrix. It actually is possible now - you just have to capture the clips on your phone and text them to yourself.