Watching videos while on a treadmill

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nobylspoon, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Nobylspoon macrumors member

Is anyone using their Touch to watch videos while running on a treadmill? My nano with the Nike+ adapter has always been my workout ipod but I am getting a touch next week and this is something I would like to do. The only place on the treadmill to set the Touch would be on the magazine rest and I am afraid it would fall off while running. Does anyone have a solution for this (besides duct tape).

I have considered getting a Gorilla Pod and wrapping it around the heart rate monitor handles.

[​IMG]

If it helps any this is the treadmill I use...

[​IMG]

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Sounds like it would work. I was in a fitness equipment retail store and saw a treadmill with a TV and this morning I saw a new stationary bike at my health club with a TV too! Talk about hypocritical!

David

3. Nobylspoon thread starter macrumors member

They make treadmills with ipod connectors that log workouts and play your videos on the monitor but it will probably be a while before my gym gets those so I froze my membership and now I just use my apartments gym.

One of the hotels I stayed in a couple months ago had monitors on the treadmill hooked up to directTV. I find that I can run much longer distances if my mind is focused on entertainment instead of the clock on the treadmill.

4. buxtone17 macrumors regular

What's hypocritical about watching TV while working out?

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

People usually consume food while watching TV so I just saw watching TV stereotypically of consuming food. I didn't mean it bad or anything so sorry.

David

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Our treadmills at the gym have nice shelves and/or pockets to put your iPod in. Seems that your device might work though.

7. Nobylspoon thread starter macrumors member

The gorilla pods are only about $30 so its worth a shot. I will probably wait until the 3.0 update so I can use use bluetooth headphones instead of being teathered to the thing just to play it safe.

8. benolathe macrumors newbie

FYI, I always watch movies on my Touch when walking on the treadmill. The iPod sits on the narrow book/magazine tray and it has never been a problem. However, if you were running fast and hard, there may be a bit more vibration on the treadmill that may cause the iPod to move. Test it out by sitting something like a deck of cards on the tray to see how much they move around.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I set mine on the shelf, and it slides around while I run, but I put a silicone case on it and no more sliding.

10. Nobylspoon thread starter macrumors member

Hey r.j.s. do they have any 16gb Touchs in stock at the PX on Ft Hood? I was planning on driving up there if I don't see one at Camp Maybry, their PX looks pretty small from Mo-Pac so I am doubting they have any.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The PX didn't have any 16GB when I checked about 2 weeks ago, only 32GBs.

I haven't checked since, though, so they may have gotten some in. I don't go over by Warrior Way that often, so I'm not in there too much.

12. Nobylspoon thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks, I will just give them a call before I make the drive then. If anything I will just get the 32GB.

13. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You best option would be just either get an headphone extension cord for three bucks (radioshack) or use regular ear buds and leave them on the treadmill Then duck tape the earbud cord about 5 inches down the cord to the handle on the treadmill- that way they pull out of your ear before they pull the touch off the mag. rack.

I think your gorilla thing is not a good idea- if you pull hard on the cord it may not fall off the treadmill, but you are going to tear up the headphone jack by yanking perpendicular to the jack post!!!!!!

15. dellavoce macrumors regular

I use mine on the magazine shelf all the time with no problems. I suggest a best skins ever or a silicone case though for a little extra traction.

16. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

...or **** loads of Blu-Tac.:p

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I was there today, and they did have the 16GB, if you haven't been up here already.

18. Nobylspoon thread starter macrumors member

Headphones are not a concern, when the 3.0 update is released I plan on using bluetooth active headphones. My concern is the vibrations of running causing the ipod to fall off the small magazine stand.

19. Nobylspoon thread starter macrumors member

Awesome thanks. Camp Mabry didn't have any. I had a change of heart on the 16GB though, I think I am going to get the 32GB one instead. Do you recall if they still had those in stock? I will be getting it sometime this week.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I didn't ask, I just happened to notice the 16 sitting there.

21. aveda6 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have regularly watched videos while on the treadmill. To date, I haven't had to much of a problem with the vibrations. There is one particular unit at the gym that must sit at a bit of an angle and the ipod will start to move to the right slowly. I just keep an eye on it and move it back when it gets close to the edge. It doesn't happen on any other treadmill. I also have the bluetooth headphones with an adapter so I don't have to worry about the cords (or wait for 3.0 to come out).

22. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

The touch's screen is too small to look at while on a treadmill... Besides I would not use a touch while on the treadmill, fear of damaging it.