Watching YouTube in HD....

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by geoluv, Apr 15, 2013.

1. geoluv macrumors newbie

I have an ipad 2 and a ip4s.

I know there are plenty of apps that let ou set the playback to 1080p, but the native app doesn't let you choose the playback resolution.

My problem is I go to a blog that posts videos from places like YouTube and Vimeo. The Vimeo player lets you choose hd if you want, but the YouTube app gives you no option, it just always plays the sd version.

How can I watch the YouTube links in hd without going through th hassle of copying the URL and opening them in a non-official YouTube app?

2. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I think that the quality of the video in the youtube app depends on your internet connection :confused:

3. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

The resolution depends on the speed of your connection. You'll always get the highest possible resolution.

This means that if your speed is slow, you'll get the lower resolution of the video and vice-versa.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Does Google offer HD to iOS devices? I have that option on my Android devices and video looks much better on them compared to iOS.

It's a shame YouTube is so ridiculously slow I can never have it set to max resolution.

5. geoluv thread starter macrumors newbie

^its not YouTube, it's your ISP/carrier. Google has crazy bandwidth, the bottleneck is almost never on their end.

You guys are right the YouTube official app will stream HD to you if you are on wifi, so if you see an embedded video in safari you have to click the little title link in the upper left corner to open it in the YouTube app. It's a pain cuse then when you are done with the video you have to close it the YouTube app then open safari back up. I want YouTube to give me the option in the embedded player like Vimeo does.

And also in the offical YouTube app it just automatically chooses the highest res for you, it doesn't give you the option there either. That's bad for people on metered broadband or people with data caps (like me, 40usd per month and I get 15/1mb and a 250 gig cap, my ISP doesn't even hide the fact that they are disuedng people from using netflix, they tell people to use on-demand instead of netflix. Netflix is 8 bucks a month, on-demand is like 5 bucks PER MOVIE! That's what you get in the land of the free I guess, the freedom to either have Internet from one company or go without Internet).

6. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Last time I checked if I watch youtube via the mobile site I can always choose the resolution, just like if I was on a desktop browser. Unless I misunderstood completely what you meant.

7. geoluv thread starter macrumors newbie

^ That's true, if you are on the mobile yt site you can choose resolution after you hit play and the video is already playing and also when you hit full screen it doesn't actually go full screen, it leaves the address bar at the top.

My issue is that when I'm on a blog with embedded yt videos I can either press play and it plays sd or I can hit the link in the per left corner of the embedded video and it will open the official app and play in HD automatically and you can't change it to sd. If you don't have the official app dled then hitting the lik in embedded videos opens it in the yt mobile site but then you have the above stated problems. I just want yt to give us the option to choose resolution in the embedded videos before hitting play like Vimeo does. It's seriously the biggest issue I have with the iPad.

8. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Ohhh now I see ;)

Yeah it's cumbersome. Maybe a bookmarklet could help? But I haven't seen any (not that I've searched for it anyway).