Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
So...I have two Apple Watches: Stainless Steel and Space Black Stainless Steel, both with the links bracelet. I went to update them last night, choosing the Stainless Steel to update first.

The update downloaded to the watch, and went through the installation and then restarted. When it restarted, it got stuck on the Apple logo. The screen never turns off. It's always on the Apple logo, even when off the charger. Restarting the Apple Watch produces the same result.

I dropped it off at the Apple Store this morning to be sent out for repair, but wondering if anyone else had update issues. Now I'm a little gun shy about updating the Space Black watch, at least until I get the Stainless Steel back so I have a backup.

TasheRAWR

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
London, United Kingdom
Same thing happened to me last week. It was gutting as I've always been careful with all of my electronics. Unfortunately it was sent off for repair but they couldn't fix it and so now I'll be getting a replacement. Due to being out of warranty it will cost me about £260. :(

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
This happened to my SS last week. Had to pay for repair as it was out of warranty. Wonder if it's a bad batch based on mfr date or whatever.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
This happened to my SS last week. Had to pay for repair as it was out of warranty. Wonder if it's a bad batch based on mfr date or whatever.

When mine was first sent out for service due to physical damage, they just replaced the watch. I won't have to pay anything because I have AppleCare+, but kind of unnerving that their prescribed update process has the potential to brick the whole thing. Given that it has to be sent out, one would think the updates would need to be tested thoroughly. Also, I would love to see WatchOS 3 have an option to wipe device and set-up as new in the event of an update gone wrong.

Haribokart

Suspended
Sep 4, 2010
UK
Same thing happened to me last week. It was gutting as I've always been careful with all of my electronics. Unfortunately it was sent off for repair but they couldn't fix it and so now I'll be getting a replacement. Due to being out of warranty it will cost me about £260. :(

If you're in the EU (which as you used pounds I assume you are) you'll be able to get it repaired or replaced for free under EU LAW. Don't pay money for a replacement!

TasheRAWR

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
London, United Kingdom
If you're in the EU (which as you used pounds I assume you are) you'll be able to get it repaired or replaced for free under EU LAW. Don't pay money for a replacement!

I believe under EU law I would have to prove there is a defect which may be an issue as even the people at Apple were clueless of the issue with the software updates causing watches to brick :(

Haribokart

Suspended
Sep 4, 2010
UK
I work for Apple, so long as you haven't damaged it yourself and have the reciept you're good. If the watch doesn't work less than two years from purchase you are legally entitled to a replacement free of charge.

Reactions: dschulian

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Also, I would love to see WatchOS 3 have an option to wipe device and set-up as new in the event of an update gone wrong.
^This! And this has to include to download the wOS and make a clean install.

I have this annoying bug where my watch reboots everytime I press the snooze button while in nightstand mode.

I could reproduce that on two watches actually (got one replacement because of chipped back).

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Well I have an interesting update to report. When I scheduled to have my SS repaired, I was told I'd get a box in the mail to send it in. 10 days later I hadn't received the box so I called to ask/complain. I was told that the box was on backorder (!!) for another two weeks (!!!) but that I could simply have them email the shipping label so I could send it in myself.

When I asked why I hadn't been told about the box being on back order, or the option to print the label, in the first place, I was ultimately bumped to Apple's tier 1 support people in Austin, TX. They were so accommodating I can hardly believe it. When I walked the guy through the time table he was way more angry about it than I was :) So much so that he refunded my repair ($354 including tax) AND offered me a credit on Apple.com for any accessory I want up to $300 (!!!!!!)

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the best customer service experience I've ever had with any company at any time for any reason. Apple is so giant that I don't think of them as having the ability to help customers and address issues on this scale. But there it is.

No relation to an update bricking a watch, but I'm not complaining!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Big thanks to Gonky and testcard! :D went to the Apple Store today to pick up my replacement and as soon as I said about the Consumer Rights Law, I was given the replacement free of charge. :D

Nicely done! Turns out in my case it was sufficiently borked that they replaced my watch (with a refurb..."hooray" USA). It just arrived and am restoring from backup now.

Reactions: TasheRAWR

TasheRAWR

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
London, United Kingdom
Nicely done! Turns out in my case it was sufficiently borked that they replaced my watch (with a refurb..."hooray" USA). It just arrived and am restoring from backup now.

You got a nice outcome yourself :D my replacement is most likely a refurb too but looks new so as long as it works I'm just happy to have a working watch again! :) it was scary setting it up, updating and restoring as just worrying it would happen again but thankfully no issues.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
According to my Apple support profile, my watch is getting replaced as well. I guess it was unable to be fixed.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
You got a nice outcome yourself :D my replacement is most likely a refurb too but looks new so as long as it works I'm just happy to have a working watch again! :) it was scary setting it up, updating and restoring as just worrying it would happen again but thankfully no issues.

A nice outcome indeed :)

According to my Apple support profile, my watch is getting replaced as well. I guess it was unable to be fixed.

I do have to wonder if something failed on the hardware side and the timing was coincidental. I don't know that I can tie it precisely to the moment I updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.