WatchOS 2 Beta 2 battery life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by EvanEiga, Jun 24, 2015.

1. EvanEiga macrumors member

So as we all know, iOS 9 beta 1 battery life was so bad, but for those of us who upgraded our watch to WatchOS 2 beta 1, we were stuck.

Wait no more, we got the second beta of iOS 9 yesterday and things were so much better.... until WatchOS 2 beta 2 is killing the battery on watch, at least for me.

Its barely 3PM at California and my watch is telling me I'm have only 10% of battery power left right now. It was bad on Watch OS 2, but I could still get my watch last until 7-8 before going to power reserve...but on this beta, it pretty much renders my watch useless for half of the day....

Is that the case for you guys?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

my watch is at 63% right now on Beta 2. Took it off the charger at 6:30AM.

3. EvanEiga thread starter macrumors member

I took mine off around 9AM. Interesting.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Try to unpai/re-pair and set it up as new instead of a restore and see how the battery is.

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

No it's not. Beta 1 I would hit 10% or worse by 10pm after taking off charge about 8am.
    Today at 10pm I still had about 45% - 50% remaining. AND I've had like a million notifications today from this forum on Tapatalk, which wasn't the case yesterday :)

I grabbed the firmware that was available after the takedown (ends with 'd') and just installed it. Didn't re-pair or anything. Must admit I did reboot the watch again once it had restored and rebooted tho

6. iKnowDJZ macrumors newbie

Beta2 Is even worse than Beta1 as far as battery life is concerned. I even deleted all of the apps to see if that helped, nope! At about 20% now, took the watch off the charger at 8:30am

7. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

I just came by to report my battery life is about half on b2. Going to unpair and set up as new.

8. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Just a partial observation - I was at 4 hours, and only down 15% - which I thought was great. - I've since put it on and off the charger, trying to deploy custom applications to it via xcode, which sadly isn't working - so take my experience with grain of salt.

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I wasn't able to get Beta 2 until just now. To get Beta 2 on the phone I had to delete the watch profile. I reinstalled the phone profile and just now tried reinstalling the watch profile and now it is showing beta 2 for the watch. My battery life was horrible on my watch today. Going to set it up as new and give it another go...

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Good luck.

11. myname70 macrumors 6502a

So, for one full night - 10:30 hrs, the watch battery dropped from 100% to 82%. There was only one alarm activated. I think it is OK.

12. zhaoxin macrumors regular

My states: according to Watch app in iPhone

used:1 hour 43 minutes
    stand by: 5 hours 57 minutes
    battery: 62% left

That means 38/(5*60 + 57) * 60 = 6.4% per hour. That means 15.6 hours a day. Comparing to beta 1, this is much better. I had to charge beta 1 every 4 or 5 hours.

However, there are still much things to improve than the 1.x firmware. My watch can use more than 20 hours in 1.x firmware.

13. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

My battery life is back to normal after setting the watch up as new.

14. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

15. mtzaquia macrumors newbie

mtzaquia

I went straight from 1.0.1 to watchOS2 Beta 2. What I can say so far is that battery is ridiculously bad, as I'm unable to get more than 6h~7h without diving into Power Reserve. 42mm by the way.

None of the techniques listed everywhere on the internet worked, such as repair, repair and set as new, turning off Diagnostics & Usage, etc. Also tried to remove all third-party apps, remove synced playlists and weather complication. Nothing has solved it.

Good side is that I've only found 3 bugs so far: taptics failure after some time, taptics not coherent to heartbeat on digital touch, and I've got stuck on the Heart glance measuring my heart and had to hard reset.

It seems only GM will fix those battery issues (Beta 3, maybe?). What I can say for good is that Apple was right on postponing Watch's launch until they could come up with decent battery. I feel extremely pissed of when I run out of juice on this wearable, even knowing this will happen and that I'm using a beta release.

16. myname70 macrumors 6502a

I installed Os 2 b2 over the 1.0.1 too. But my battery is still very good. From early morning till midnight - 12-17 % intensive work and play with the watch, including reading the RSS news.

17. mtzaquia macrumors newbie

mtzaquia

Would you mind telling me which watch face are you using and with which complications? Will try to mimic.

18. Treble macrumors 6502

Treble

Same here battery life is shockingly bad Infact the beta is bad but it's a beta so it's the risk that you take

19. IspepAloc macrumors member

IspepAloc

I removed Weather from my watch face and the battery life went up dramatically. Usually, I'd need to charge the watch to get through a day but since I made the change I can make it until the evening. It's been off charger since around 8AM and its down to 35% now.

20. myname70 macrumors 6502a

I use either Utility or Simple face with - weather, calendar, battery and alarm complications. Glances - the default plus Shazam, News, LowBattery for iPhone

21. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

I'm at
    Usage: 4hr 0 Minutes
    standby:13 Hr 2 Minute
    Battery currently 49%
    Been using it heavily today too and on beta 2 not to shabby I'd say beta 1 killed me on battery life.

22. Treble macrumors 6502

Treble

The ip6plus beta is solid for me as is the iPad Air 2 beta but the Watch OS is shocking

23. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

I'm curious - those having good battery life did you upgrade your iPhone to ios9b2 and restore a backup or did you set up as new totally clean?
    There must be some pattern to this

For the record, I upgraded from 8.4 b4 and have shockingly bad battery.
    Going to DFU the phone tonight to totally clean 9b2 and see if that helps

24. myname70 macrumors 6502a

I ugraded from iOS 8.4 beta, but did restore from iCloud backup which was iOS 9 b1 (saved from previous b1).

25. mtzaquia macrumors newbie

mtzaquia

I have a friend with an iPhone 6+ and his Watch is holding power way longer than mine (I've an iPhone 6). I see builds for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ are the same, but who knows...