watchOS 2 Beta Review & Bugs

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by walshy1009, Jun 13, 2015.

1. walshy1009, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

walshy1009 macrumors regular

walshy1009

Hey guys,

So I've been using watchOS 2 Beta 1 since it was available to download OTA and I'll also be doing the same thing in video form on my YouTube channel if you're into that.

Keep in mind that this is what I've gathered from using watchOS 2 over the past 5 days so certinally nothing in depth.

Installation

When I was installing watchOS 2, I was excited but at the same time I was super scared as to how it was going to turn out. Would it all install without a hitch? Would it brick? Looking back on it, I dont even know what I was getting myself into.

Installation requires that you install a configuration profile on your iPhone & Apple Watch which both result in restarts after you successfuly install the profile on both devices. This is to ensure that you agree to watchOS beta running on your watch and so it allows you to actually download beta software (Kinda like how you might tick the box in your GPU software saying "Download updates that are beta" or what not)

The watchOS 2 Beta 1 download was roughly 350 MB and took around an hour to download. Installing the watchOS 2 Beta was when things got a little scary. As the watch was installing the beta, it actually bricked at one stage as the ring around the Apple logo was about 3/4 done.

The only reason I can come up with as to why it bricked was that a notification came up on my iPhone throughout the installation saying something like "iCloud can't work without the cloud, plz put in your password so we can function again.."

That took me into the settings app which was when the installation on the watch then bricked.

However, holding down the digital crown and friends buttion for ten seconds restarted the watch and continued the installation which then finished up without error.

First Impressions

Using watchOS 2 Beta 1 for the first few minutes was surpisingly pleasent to say the least. Nothing was crashing, frame rate was high and opening apps was really fast... until it all went sour. Of course in doing this update, I reset my watch beforehand so I could have a clean slate for the beta so this meant that all my data was wiped. Now that wasn't a big deal for me as I knew that most of my data would just sync back to the watch from the phone but then I realised that this is a beta and nothing was going to go to plan.

The new additons to watchOS 2 such as Time Travel, being able to select multiple colors for single drawings in digital touch, improvments to Siri & more are cool and all but I really have no one to test those features with. Even with third party complications for example, there are no third party complications even out yet which I'd like to use with the Time Travel feature.

I upgraded to watchOS 2 to test out the three main features that caught my eye... Nightstand Mode, Timelapse watch face & Photos watch face.

Nightstand Mode (although stupid and pointless to some) is simply stunning while at the same time, sticking to a simplistic layout. My bedside tables are pretty close to the edge of my bed and my watch is right at the edge of the beside table so it's pretty easy to just roll over in bed to interact with in the morning without having to stretch.

When the alarm goes off, the display lights up and I can easily see, even without opening my eyes too much, what the time is, the name of the alarm and the charge level of my watch which are all big pros in my book. Snoozing the alarm or turning it off is also easy. Sure, some prefer a traditonal alarm clock with big buttons so they can just whack the button to turn off their alarm without looking at it, but in my case, a nice on screen display of which button does what to alter what the alarm does is also a big pro for me as I know what the button I just pressed is actually going to do. The only thing I was dissapointed with was the sound of the alarm as Apple seemed to show off a new alarm sound for Apple Watch alarms which isn't present in this beta version of watchOS.

Next is the new watch faces which include the Timelapse watch face, Single Photo watch face and the Photo Album watch face. These three complication free watch faces all require personal input to reflect your own feelings.

The Timelapse watch face includes a few popular locations such as London, New York, Shanghai, etc.
    I've never been to any of these places in my life but all these timelapses really do show a vibrant landscape. In fact, I've been finding myself looking at the New York timelapse during the day when I'm out and about either at school, down the street and then looking at the London timelapse at night where I'll look at my watch to see not only the time but also being able to see Big Ben light up as the sun sets at a rapid speed. It's beautiful and brings a smile to my face every now and then. A little change here for me personally would be making the time and date on this watch face a little bit bigger.

The Single Photo & Photo Album watch face provides an even more personal input by you the user. Although I don't personally see the point in having pictures of my loved ones on my 42mm screen, I can see why others would use this watch face. Maybe you just created a seperate album in your photos app to put all the photos into from that holiday you just went on. You have this album synced to your watch and you set your watch to the Photo Album watch face for the next week or so, so that everytime you look at your watch over the next week, you have a new image everytime to look at to recap on the awesome holiday you were just on. Dumb to some... Sentimental to others...

Bugzzzzzz! (Bugs)

Every beta has a fair share of bugs. The bugs I've picked up on are...

- The Stocks App just outright, doesn't work and only displays the Yahoo logo when you open it up.
    [UPDATE: Stocks works when you ask Siri about a specific stock but the Stocks App just doesn't work]

- My weather temperature was set to Fahrenheit for some reason. It didn't switch to Celsius on demand when I specifically tapped on the button in the app to change it. It changed back to Celsius eventually... one and a half days later...

- The Timelapse watch face sometimes lags when playing the timelapse upon activation of the screen or sometimes, it won't play the timelapse at all and just shows a still image.

- Sometime's the watch thinks my current location is the "South Atlantic Ocean" :/

- Maps is very on and off and sometimes takes longer than watchOS 1.0 did to load map data.

- There's a new AirPlay option in the settings glance that doesn't work yet.

- Sometimes the notification sound will play five to ten seconds after the notification has actually poped up.

- The Taptic Engine sometimes doesn't work at all (same with the watch speaker) [A restart usually fixes this problem]

- Contacts are no longer synced to my watch! This is the bug that is driving me nuts the most.

- Siri is pretty slow when trying to activate on demand or sometimes will just give up.

- Voice dictation when replying to a message for example also takes ages to activate on demand.

- Weather info sometimes took longer than two minutes to finally display.

- Third Party Apps take longer than usual to install or may flat out just not even bother to install.

- The new complications section in the Apple Watch App on iPhone doesn't work yet and shows a constant loading icon.

- Seriously Apple... where's the learn to dance like Eddy Cue video? Disappointed xD

Conclusion

For the first Apple Watch beta ever, things are looking pretty good for whats to come. Sure, there are a few bugs but with all these new features to test out before official release and watchOS 2 Beta 2 probably a few weeks away, I'd say you should jump on the beta wagon... if you're a developer. This is in no way for the average consumer! Trust me, you may end up bricking your watch! xD

2. Cjhooper macrumors member

I got my contacts back by unpairing and repairing the watch. That also helped fix some of the bugs I was seeing like the weather putting me in the south Atlantic. Stocks do not work for me either. Sometimes Siri and message dictation do not work but usually they do. Phone calls are not working for me. My watch connects but the other party cannot hear me or I cannot hear them but I have yet to have a successful phone call on OS2. Other than that it's pretty smooth for a beta. I do wish I could go back to 1.01 just so I could get my phone back to 8.3 the battery life on the phone is killing me. The battery life on the watch is not as good as it was on OS1 but it still gets me through the day.

3. walshy1009 thread starter macrumors regular

walshy1009

Yeah the battery life in iOS 9 Beta at the moment is horrible on my 5S but I expected that. Heavy user = Having to do two full charges of the phone in one day.

4. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

The one feature I was really hoping for was the option to select how long you can keep the watch face on, so many people want that

5. SHNXX macrumors 68000

Are there any native apps that show off the watchos2's prowess?

6. spshulem macrumors newbie

spshulem

Here are my recent bugs:

• Heart rate will say it's detected, but won't give accurate reading when working out (I'll constantly be getting 50-70 BPM doing cardio)

• The calendar widget in time travel will show me events the next day saying they are the current day

• It often, if ever, will actually vibrate no matter what settings I give it

• Contacts don't show up

• Siri is still ****. I said "call Mom" and it couldn't find Mom... probably a contacts thing

• Voice calls will rarely hear my voice, have to wait 30 seconds

• Calling takes around 20-30 seconds to start ringing

• Often won't light up when twisting wrist, have to tap the home button

• Battery life is 8-10 hours (Normal use - less in heavy)

• Won't detect on my wrist and keep asking for password

That's it for now! I don't have a place to report these bugs, if anyone wants to guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I seem to be having good days and bad days with WatchOS 2. Today is a very good day. Primarily I think because I turned off location based weather. I set a default for my home town and turned off location services on my phone for weather. I'm 6 hours into my day and my watch is still at 76%. I'm not sure if it helped, but I also put it in airplane mode while I was commuting (before turning off all the weather location services) I'm fine with the weather complication using my home town which is 20 miles from my work all day. I can use Dark Sky when I want to see my immediate location. It's made for that anyway.

My heart rate readings seem more consistent today too in terms of timing. Text notifications are decent and wrist detect is decent. Call notification was well after my phone rang, but it did actually notify me which it hasn't at times over the past few weeks.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I turned location services off for weather as well. But the complication on my watch face still displays an incorrect temperature. Even though when I go into the weather app on the watch it displays the correct temperature for my town. Somehow it just doesn't transfer to the watch face.

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I had to go back and forth a few times and set a default location on both the phone and the watch. The complication has stayed in sync with my default location ever since. At first it was still showing the South Atlantic and even the weather screen was. I would say reboot the watch, but I would assume you already have.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

How do you set the default location on the watch itself?

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

You just set it in the phone. But in the watch companion under weather you can set your default city.

Looking at my wrist and my opening statement yesterday is so true. Today is looking like a horrible day. I didn't put on airplane mode for my commute. When I got to work I was at 95% (yesterday I think I was still at 100% when I got to work) Now it's in a freefall. It's down to 88% and I've been here about 15 minutes. So 1% every 2 minutes. It's responding pretty slowly, so I think I'm going to reboot it and hope it improves. Last night I made it till 11pm with 8% left. A far cry from what it was on OS 1.01, but it did make it 16 or 17 hours.

12. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

All right - I'm going to upgrade too... I upgraded my iPad mini - and have been issue free. I'll see what happens now with the phone/watch upgrade...

I'd like to deploy an app to the watch.

13. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Have you turned off iCloud Drive per this link?:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-battery-life-fix.1893400/

14. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I can agree with just about everything in here.

So, here's my experience in a long line of big updates with Apple. First Beta is basically a feature complete bug ridden release. Beta 2 will fix just about everything that made you nuts about Beta 1, and will be much much faster while introducing a completely new set of bugs that will drive you crazy. Beta 3 will fix probably most things but will seem slow. Beta 4-6 will be steady increases in speed while fixing the crazy things you can't fully define.

Thats roughly the way every major Apple release cycle has been for me. For iOS 9, and El Capitan things have really been much more stable then other releases, though speed in many parts is the kinda horrible that makes you cry.

Monday I expect new builds of everything. We will all say Safari is faster. We will see many things remarkably faster. Then in our day to day lives we will be frustrated at how Bluetooth worked in Beta 1, but now your device gets really confused and starts playing The Beach Boys every time you answer a call.

15. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

beta... yes a bit buggy :) and loading apps is sloooooow. I was able to deploy an app, so, if you're going to write an app(s) for the device, I think it makes sense. Although I do think the device will need a pick-me-up charge mid day.

That - and it might just be me, but it seems like it takes a lot longer to burn calories compared to OS1.

16. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

17. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

My issue is when I go to glances, nothing updates and just the circle for ages. A restart will fix it but after a while its back to square one too. Have reported the bug. Anyone else having this same issue? If not then I am going to unpair and repair this again to see.

Alerts are working for me, but havent tried the timer.

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Sound and haptic engine stop working for me and I have to restart the watch often. Anyone? I hope beta 2 will fix this issue.

19. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

I had the same issue but i unpaired and repaired and all works back for me now al the time.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

issues Im having include:

- decreased battery life: 1 charge used to last me 1.5 days now enough for 1 day
    - raising my wrist doesn't always activate the screen. Sometimes even repeating the motion doesn't do it either. I have to tap the screen.
    - The only notification element that is consistent is the red dot. taps and pop-ups are hit and miss.

21. aziatiklover, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thanx I am gonna try that. BTW do you guys know how to delete Apple Watch backup? It seems like I have 2 and I want to delete the oldest one.

EDIT: Unpairing or even reset the whole watch does not fix the problem for me. I am hoping beta 2 will fix this issue tomorrow or Tuesday.

22. DrBlueBox macrumors 6502

DrBlueBox

Is anybody having problems sending drawings etc.. to other people with an Apple Watch?

When I go into contacts to do it, the hand in the middle doesn't show up at all

23. Justjay27 macrumors 6502

Justjay27

I cant seem to get any notification what so ever until i reset my watch and i get maybe 2 notifications and then that's it

24. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

anyone trying to update to watch os2 beta2? I'm trying to run the upgrade thru the phone without reloading any configuration profile, but it doesn't seem to be working...