WatchOS 2 compatible with iOS 8.4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ralpa, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ralpa macrumors member

Hi,

Even though WatchOS is not released yet, I just read that WatchOS will require iOS 9 to update to WatchOS 2. Is that true?

Since I do not want to update my iPhone 5s to iOS 9. I am wondering if this is possible: use another iPhone with iOS 9 to update my apple watch, then reset the watch and pair with my iPhone 5s with iOS 8.4?

Thanks guys :)

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Probably won't work. Because you use the Apple Watch App on the phone to do a lot of things. I wouldn't doubt if the watch app in iOS 9 is a newer version in itself than it is on iOS 8.4.1. Which would not be able to work at all with a watch on watchOS 2 since the version in 8.4.1 wouldn't have watchOS 2 support.

3. ralpa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man. Actually I thought of that too. Since they updated the map app in the watch so probably it won't be compatible with iOS 8.4 which has the older version of map. I am just trying luck cuz I really don't wanna risk to update my iPhone 5s to iOS since it took me quite some work to make the battery lasts a day now.

4. Mengels7 macrumors regular

No, WatchOS2 will not pair with a phone running anything less than 9.0. Been like this since the start of the beta.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need iOS9 to run (and install I believe) watch OS2.

6. ralpa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the confirmation :)...
    Guess now it has become a hard choice for me: update to watchOS 2 to enjoy more but risk to lose battery life with iPhone 5s iOS 9 or keep the same thing...

7. Gregintosh, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I don't see it as a win-lose situation at all, as iOS 9 runs more efficiently than iOS 8 on older phones. Don't go by beta reviewers as that code is different. Your iPhone 5S will run fine.

If you don't go iOS 9 you'll also miss out on enchanced notes, Siri, and other stuff.

8. Rorosbutt macrumors regular

I wonder what will happen when someone who is still on iOS 8.x and the watch comes with watchOS 2 already installed out of the box. It's just a matter of time that the watch will come stock watchOS2

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

What will happen is they'll have to upgrade to iOS 9.

10. ralpa thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. The enhanced notes is the function I expected the most.

Also the third party app in watchOS 2. Since I don't always pair my watch with my phone so that will be good for me.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It could be the :apple:Watch won't pair and you get a splash saying you need to update to iOS 9 in order to pair.

12. bigolyt macrumors newbie

I'm running 8.4 on my 6 plus and just got an apple watch that has os2 on it. My iPhone has the apple watch "app" but you're right it wants me to upgrade to 9 to pair it. Makes no sense to me. And is honestly pretty lame.