Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

watchos2-250x250.jpg
Apple today at its "Hey Siri" media event announced that watchOS 2 will be released to the public on Wednesday, September 16 for the Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition. The golden master (GM) version of the software was seeded to developers shortly after the event wrapped up.

watchOS 2 was announced last June at WWDC and features native third-party apps, third-party complications, new watch faces, a landscape Nightstand alarm clock mode, Activation Lock, FaceTime audio calls, new health and fitness achievements, and an improved Siri experience.

With new tools and APIs available in watchOS 2, Apple Watch apps will be more complex, full-featured, and faster. watchOS 2 introduces several new features developers can use to improve their apps, including more efficient native apps that run on the watch itself instead of the iPhone. The new software also allows developers to access the Taptic Engine and sensors like the heart rate monitor, microphone, and accelerometer.

Article Link: watchOS 2 Launching September 16 for Apple Watch

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

AHizz

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
San Diego, CA
I really just want them to fix the Wrist Detection problem. Mine hasn't worked since I bought it...and everyone at the Apple store is blaming it on my sleeve tattoos. Yet, my friend, who has just as many tattoos as I do (if not more) has no problem with his watch working properly. Two huge features don't work without Wrist Detection: I can't use Apple Pay, and it won't calculate elevation or standing time. Drives me MENTAL!

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
I really just want them to fix the Wrist Detection problem. Mine hasn't worked since I bought it...and everyone at the Apple store is blaming it on my sleeve tattoos. Yet, my friend, who has just as many tattoos as I do (if not more) has no problem with his watch working properly. Two huge features don't work without Wrist Detection: I can't use Apple Pay, and it won't calculate elevation or standing time. Drives me MENTAL!

What color is on your wrist? iirc someone here explained that because of the green colored sensor, certain colors used in a tattoo would interfere on the wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.