watchOS 2 Release Date

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bbqthis, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

The newest version of iOS typically goes out on the day the new iPhone ships, so what about the newest version of watchOS? Rumors are saying no new Watch this year, so should we assume that the new watchOS will ship alongside iOS?

2. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple's site says "Coming this fall" and many people are expecting it at the next Apple event.

3. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Right, but it could just as well launch with OS X right? We have no concrete info other than the inherent link between iOS and watchOS? Which admittedly is a strong argument.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The next event isn't in the fall though. They mean the iPad event?

5. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Many people in the US consider September as a whole to be fall, even if the official first day of it might not be until the middle. Mostly due to school starting near the end of august or beginning of September.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

My gut was thinking Watch OS2 will come out in late September or early October - was trying to figure out when they will release the next iPhone and I "think" it is usually 2 weeks after the even. The typical date given for official fall is September 21st, but if you look, it is officially September 23rd. That is exactly two weeks after the event. Wasn't really trying to make a coincidence though.

My guess is OS2 will come out about the same time IOS9 is released and I will go with September 24th.

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, they usually do GMs after the keynote and release them a week later, so sometime the week of Sept. 15th is possible.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

New iOSes are typically released 1-2 days prior to the launch of the new iPhone.

9. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

"Official" dates vary around the world. Atsronomers use the equinoxes to define seasons, while meteorologists use calendar months. Australia and New Zealand officially use calendar months (we're on our second official day of Spring right now!), while the USA uses astronomical boundaries for seasons.

My guess is that, as with the Watch "launch", the iPhone event will precede the actual release date of the new iPhone by perhaps a month, and the next version of iOS and WatchOS will be released along with the new iPhone.

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

watchOS 2 should be launching along side iOS 9. Since the two devices are tied together really, so it only makes sense to update their software the same time.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My honest opinion:

I would release iOS 9 on 9/16, WatchOS 9/17 and hardware 9/18. That would alleviate some server load and the ability for the consumer to update the phone first, then the watch the next day. A more straightforward experience.

I guarantee you if they are released the same day someone will attempt to update the watch first and not be able to figure out why it won't work. And then we get to see stupid threads asking why it's not working. Lol

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

My educated guess is 9/18 release for OS9 and WatchOS2. That would fit the normal pattern for Apple.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

No. The pattern would be 9/16. For the past 3-4 years the OS comes out 2 days before hardware.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

What Haruhiko said. The new IOS typically comes out on the Wednesday before the phones ship.