WatchOS 3.0 New Native app complications

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Armen, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Can someone who is running WatchOS 3.0 list the additional complications that Apple added?

I keep seeing screenshots indicating that there is a new music complication, heart rate complication, work out complication and others but tech sites seem to want to keep yapping about the new watch face and the performance changes.

2. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Cant think off hand but I love the music one! There are two for music, one is a simple iTunes icon and you click it to go to music app (very speedy!) and the other which only shows on some faces shows the current song playing and then the up next song (clicking goes to music app). Great addition!

3. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I had sent in a suggestion to Apple to make a Music watch face where the background was the album art and the complications were play/pause, previous,next and maybe a scrolling "up next".

I'm glad they did something with music :)

4. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

There is now a complication for pretty much every first party app. Most of them (the Music one might be only exception) don't show any information, they just act as a shortcut to the app. For example Mail app's complication doesn't show unread mail count or anything like that.

5. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Reminders as an app was finally added and a complication. All new/old others are:

Activity
    Alarm
    Battery
    Breathe
    Calendar
    Date
    Find my friends
    Heartrate
    Home
    Mail
    Maps
    Music
    Phone
    Reminders
    Remote
    Stocks
    Sunrise/sunset
    Timers
    Weather
    Weather conditions
    Workout
    World clock

Think that is it.

6. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Find My Friends: any useful data in the complication or just a shortcut to launch the app?
    Heartrate: shortcut to the app or interactive? (i.e. tap to start measuring now, tap again to stop)
    Mail: badge to indicate unread emails?

7. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I like that they added a complication to launch Apple apps faster. But at the same time having them show some info would be nice.

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

The complications from Apple are mostly just shortcuts that don't show anything.... however, this is just a beta version and it could lead to more that we have to wait for... some developer friends said that with watchOS3, they have way more control over the complications. Hope that means something to me.

Yesterday, a two hour test of the workout while golfing showed that the heartrate measuring was far better than the previous version and Apple never said a thing about that...

9. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I know that Apple limited dev complication to refresh once every 30 min only. Maybe they changed that.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Can somebody who used the Reminders Nano app prior to watch OS 3 tell me if the Reminders app now does what the Nano has been doing? Don't want to delete the Nano if the app won't let me access my lists on the watch. I'll actually be able to answer that question myself as soon as the installation finishes but I'm impatient! LOL

11. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

They provided a minimum of 50 complication refreshes a day, which is about one every 30 minutes. Applications can have more than that, though, based on what the system decides (if a user is constantly checking their dock, for example, Watch OS may grant additional refreshes). Apps can also push updates to complications at any rate too, so you can shoot 50 complication updates in under an hour but that exhausts total amount you have.

12. friedmud macrumors 65816

I'm interested in this myself... once you get it working let us know!

13. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I don't have os3 installed. But from what I've seen it looks identical to the nano app. Same icon, same list view. I'm hoping the Apple app you'll have the ability to tap a reminder to get more info. Right now in nano you can only mark an item as complete when tapping it.

14. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're meaning. But in the keynote when the presenter showed the reminders (her example was her bucket list.) She went into Reminders, had a list of reminders and tapped into the bucket list and then checked off "present at a WWDC" at the bottom of her bucket list.

15. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I remember seeing this too and no it's not what I meant. Let's say I have note attached to a item in the list. With nano when in the list and I tap an item it will mark it as complete. With no option to tap for more details about that item.

16. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Ahh ok. Yeah it won't show any notes for individual items listed in the reminder. Tapping just checks off that item with no way of seeing details.

(Screenshots are 1 is a test reminder on my iPhone, two items have a note. Screenshot 2 is reminders on the watch. Doesn't show any notes or have a way to see them.)

Attached Files:

17. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Thank you for testing. Hopefully they add it.