watchOS 3.2 Won't Install - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ascender, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

The update has downloaded to my phone and the first attempt to install it saw the watch just get stuck on one of the progress rings for ages while getting hotter and hotter.

I had to do a factory reset of the watch which went ok and restored the backup which also went ok. Then tried to upgrade again but it wouldn't go past the terms and conditions page. Just sits there with the spinning ball.

Another reset, didn't restore backup so left it as a fresh watch. Same problem.

Any ideas what I could try next?

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Which generation Apple Watch are you using? Do you have a strong Wi-Fi connectivity? Also this may seem fairly obvious, but when you get to the terms and conditions page, make sure you're accepting the terms and conditions to proceed.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Its a Series 0, 42mm SS. Wi-Fi signal is fine, tried on both of our SSIDs and yes, I tried not agreeing to the T&Cs as well just to make sure it was definitely acknowledging a selection.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I would disable the Wi-Fi on your iPhone, power off your iPhone/power back on/re-enable wifi. I would power off the Apple Watch and power back on, then attempt to initiate the update.

5. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, will try all of that again tonight when i get home. It was getting late last night and everything seems to take so long on the Watch. Not sure if that's just symptomatic of it being a S0 though with slower internals.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

This has been certainly one of the longer watch OS updates to download and patch. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

No change, time to speak to Apple I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Got this resolved today. After running through a few things on the watch side they switched to looking at the iPhone. They firstly tried resetting network settings which made no difference but then resetting all settings on the iPhone resolved the issue.

They've said to hold off updating to the latest OS for a few days to let demand on their servers settle down - they thought maybe some sort of timeout occurred when the update was applying which sounds like an excuse as I thought all OS updates are downloaded and verified, so are self-contained during the actual install process, but who knows.

Thanks for the advice, you were definitely on the right line with it being related to the phone rather than the watch.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's valid advice from Apple regarding the servers being overloaded. I never update on the first day due to delays or horribly slow response times. Glad it worked out for you.

10. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Still can't update to 3.2. My phone still says 3.1 is the latest. Servers are still swamped almost a week after release? I have the 1st gen AppleWatch.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Just to make sure, you have updated your phone to 10.3?

12. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Yep.

13. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Tried the update again today and it went fine, no issues this time.

14. Kenmakara macrumors newbie

Kenmakara

I have the exact same problem and I have tried everything and nothing works.

15. mariaeverman macrumors newbie

mariaeverman

The most up-to-date watchOS update of Apple solves and makes Siri powerful. The watchOS 3.2 update is not something which many users have to install instantly as it is a relatively small update which builds upon watchOS 3. The watchOS 3.2 can be obtained for all Apple Watch versions now.