watchOS 3 is a game changer

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by loudmouth, Jul 5, 2016.

1. loudmouth macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I don't ever post on here but I gotta say watchOS 3 truly make sure the Apple Watch feel like a new device. No this isn't some bs love spew about apple and have had a bad tastes in my mouth about the Apple Watch since it launch but this update makes me use the watch more and more. This is truly what it should be and you have to use it to see what I mean. Everything just works you know the big thing that has sold Apple products for years. They finally figured out what makes the watch tick (no pun intended) I don't have to fuss with it to get it to work. No waiting for my apps I always use to load and load,
    I even play games on it lol what I'm saying is Apple honestly doesn't have to release a new Apple Watch. This software and future updates can clearly carry this till next year and then release a new one. So they can be a on a two year cycle with the watch. Love the watch faces and got a feeling a watchface store will open up down the road with the whole watch gallery section in the watchOS app on iPhone. The fact this is only the second beta makes me even more exited for the future betas and final to release to come.

Ps. No the battery life hasn't taken a hit at all for me.

2. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

Yeah I'm definitely loving it also. The scribble feature is by far my favorite thing of the new OS so far. Also of course the way faster launching apps.

3. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Wondering if this has value enough to carry the AW for another year when expectations are raised even higher?

4. bozokelly macrumors newbie

I hope they do release the AW 2 this year. I think a lot of people haven't purchased the AW purely due to the fact its a 1st generation apple product (I know I am guilty of this). Seeing watch OS3 and its improvements I would most likely purchase if they don't release in September alongside the iPhone 7 because my patients is running out :p I also think releasing a new watch now would revamp the AW sales

5. nongsung macrumors newbie

Watch OS3 is what should have been the OS when the Watch was announced. Among my circle of friends/relatives the reason NOT to go for the Apple Watch is the slowness of loading applications. And I agreed with that but now, it's a different beast altogether. I'm loving it, indeed, it feels like I have a new Apple Watch (although almost a year old).

6. Easttime macrumors 6502

That worried me too but I got mine a year ago and use it morning to night, multiple functions. I got used to the initial app slowness for some functions. No regrets at all. If the next OS is as good as you say, then that will just be a bonus for me.

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

The new OS has made me less concerned about a new version but I am guessing that the new features will be thinner, GPS, more water resistant, slightly faster, longer battery life to offset GPS during workouts and maybe low power LED to really help drive better battery life. If so, I will upgrade, but I think I am describing the version after the next release. But, if all of those are on the next release I will upgrade.

8. loudmouth thread starter macrumors member

Scribble got a lot better after this update and they are still going to update it!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2016 ---
    Honestly yes it does, will they? Probably not and I will buy whatever new one comes out lol but if they didn't I would be more than fine with that. Seriously feels like a new watch on my wrist.
    Trust me I with you on loving new apple products lol if they get the message across and people try it, they'll see more interest in the first gen with watchos 3
    I can say for once they were not blowing smoke up peoples ass when they said its like having a new device lol
    My thoughts exactly, I understand the reason behind why they launched it "under-powered" they were not sure about battery life and peoples habits.

That's why I think they should wait a little longer for the next version has all these features, technology will be caught up by than so they can implement it into the device. They do not, I say DO NOT need to do the whole tick tock refresh they do with the iphones.

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

About whether wos3 should have been the original release...

I think Apple wanted to see how different they could make the interface for the watch and not saddle it with all of the same conventions used in other iOS devices. They tried Glances instead of just another Control Center, they (correctly) avoided a keyboard, they used a bubbling sea of apps instead of multiple screenfuls, etc.

It was all worth a shot. Some of the ideas stuck (like having all the apps in one view), some went away, and some got modified (Glances became the Dock, for one). What remains makes more sense for the tiny screen than if they forced a simple feature-for-feature port of iOS.

I'm still using watchOS 2, but I'm getting more and more excited about the full release of 3.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I agree with all this and it bothers me when people say x should have been y to begin with. It's easy to say these things with hindsight being 20/20. But let's not forget some of the rumors in the month or two before Watch went on sale had battery life at just a few hours. Obviously that turned out not to be accurate but it's not surprising Apple would prioritize battery life above all else.

11. lagwagon, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

And watchOS 6 is what watchOS 3 should have been. iOS 10 is what iphone OS 1 should have been. :)

All things have to begin somewhere and then grow. I never understand the "x is what y should have been" comments.

But yeah, it is a pretty big leap going to watchOS 3. I like it a lot.

12. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

It's also why I just bought an AW for my doubting wife.

13. ccubed34 macrumors member

ccubed34

I have been waiting seem like forever for the AW 2, i know as soon as I buy one the new one will be announced. My wife just informed me that she now wants one. So looks like we will both be waiting.

14. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I waited 6 months to buy my AW1 when they were having their $100 off deals at Best Buy, so the price was more agreeable. I avoided wOS1 altogether and I have been happy with my purchase. After one week, I had to buy my wife one, as well... She likes hers as much as I like mine, even with the slow Apps.

With wOS3 just around the corner, we are both looking forward to the upgrade. I normally wait a few months, but after reading all the positives posts on this board, I will jump in early this time.

You should wait for the next $100 off sale and buy yourself a couple of Watches. You will be glad you did!

Tx Watch