WatchOS 4.0.1 update Mac Auto Unlock

d.wang81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
So I just updated my watch earlier today and now I can’t seem to get it to unlock my Mac. Has anyone else installed the watchOS update and had the same issue unlocking their Mac?

Equipment/os
Series 3 lte / 4.0.1
2016 MacBook Pro touchbar / high sierra

d.wang81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Did you try to enable it again in System Preferences?
Yes, I have checked the box in settings > security and privacy. Before you ask. I have powered all devices on and off. Set up as new, restored from backup, checked iOS updated software.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
That's weird. Since I only have the GPS version, I couldn't get the 4.0.1 update.. no way to verify it on my side.

d.wang81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Did you try to enable it again in System Preferences?
So like I asked before. Has anybody else installed the watchOS and had the same problem? Did you install it and have any issues unlocking your Mac?

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
I was hoping 4.0.1 might let me unlock my Mac as it doesn't work at the moment, not sure if its down to the Watch or High Sierra.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
Wasn't able to setup the unlock feature since updating to High Sierra. But since this is my working machine I don't have the time troubleshoot thousand things to get it working.. I thought, "it just works"... :p

Will use my passphrase until Apple fix this mess. Last time I signed off from iCloud on my MBP, everything ****ed up (duplicate contacts, etc....)

jakerichva

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
I don't have AW3, but my AW2 unlocks my MBP with HS just fine. When I did the update to OS4, I did have to reselect the option in System Preferences to allow the watch to unlock the Mac, but it's working fine now.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Just tested it. Apple Watch S3 LTE on 4.0.1 and a 2016 MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar on 10.13.0 (and iPhone 6S on 11.0.2).

Unlocked the Mac without issue.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
I don't have AW3, but my AW2 unlocks my MBP with HS just fine. When I did the update to OS4, I did have to reselect the option in System Preferences to allow the watch to unlock the Mac, but it's working fine now.
I tried that multiple times, with 2 different AW3s and restared all devices involved (iPhone, AW & MBP) multiple times. Everytime, it says something like "can't communicate with the device". (Not sure whats shown in english though, my system language is set to german ;))

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wasn't able to setup the unlock feature since updating to High Sierra. But since this is my working machine I don't have the time troubleshoot thousand things to get it working.. I thought, "it just works"... :p

Will use my passphrase until Apple fix this mess. Last time I signed off from iCloud on my MBP, everything ****ed up (duplicate contacts, etc....)
It did for me.

d.wang81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I tried that multiple times, with 2 different AW3s and restared all devices involved (iPhone, AW & MBP) multiple times. Everytime, it says something like "can't communicate with the device". (Not sure whats shown in english though, my system language is set to german ;))
This is similar to what I’m experiencing.

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
Macbook with Sierra v 10.12.6 and Apple Watch 3 LTE with 4.0.1 and when I go to System Settings on my Mac and select "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac" I get the following message:

Update your Mac's Software to allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Macbook with Sierra v 10.12.6 and Apple Watch 3 LTE with 4.0.1 and when I go to System Settings on my Mac and select "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac" I get the following message:

Update your Mac's Software to allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.
Wow, so not compatible with the latest version of Sierra? :eek:

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
High Sierra is required to unlock your Mac with a series 3 Apple Watch.
You are correct. As soon as I upldated to High Sierra, my AW3 LTE unlocked my Macbook. Funny that my APP store does not prompt me with the update to High Sierra. I had to go find it.

Also required a "different" password for iCloud when it installed.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm also having issues with my Apple Watch S3 LTE with unlocking my 2014 5K iMac. It worked initially, and now it just doesn't work at all. When I move my mouse to wake up the Mac, I get a spinning loading symbol thingy for a few seconds, and then the password prompt.

No idea why. I had this happen a few days ago and a combination of reboots and checking/unchecking the option in System Preferences eventually prompted me for my system password and then it was working. But now, a few days later, back to not working again.

*EDIT*

Unchecked the option in System Prefs on my iMac, rebooted my S3 and rebooted my iMac. And now after re-checking the option, it now works again. Even says "Unlocking with Apple Watch" and it does a second later.

Weird, - clearly something funky going on with either High Sierra or High Sierra + Apple Watch.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm also having issues with my Apple Watch S3 LTE with unlocking my 2014 5K iMac. It worked initially, and now it just doesn't work at all. When I move my mouse to wake up the Mac, I get a spinning loading symbol thingy for a few seconds, and then the password prompt.

No idea why. I had this happen a few days ago and a combination of reboots and checking/unchecking the option in System Preferences eventually prompted me for my system password and then it was working. But now, a few days later, back to not working again.

*EDIT*

Unchecked the option in System Prefs on my iMac, rebooted my S3 and rebooted my iMac. And now after re-checking the option, it now works again. Even says "Unlocking with Apple Watch" and it does a second later.

Weird, - clearly something funky going on with either High Sierra or High Sierra + Apple Watch.
Well, it worked from Saturday to Wednesday, and now isn't working anymore. Sigh...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Had this issue as well. Restarted both my computer and my watch (don't know if both were necessary) but that seemed to have done the trick and I haven't had any issues since.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
PSA:
I just updated my AW3 to watchOS 4.1, my MacBook to 10.13.1 and tried to enable the Auto Unlock:
Took a few seconds to activate and is working now like a charm, yay!