watchOS 4.1 GymKit Feature Rolls Out to First U.S. Gym

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

GymKit, the watchOS 4.1 feature that allows the Apple Watch to interface with gym equipment like treadmills, has started rolling out in the United States in a very limited capacity.

According to CNET, GymKit is available at the Life Time Athletic location at Sky in New York City. This is the sole location where GymKit is available, but it is coming to Equinox locations and additional Life Time Athletic locations in 2018.

[​IMG]

GymKit is also available at select locations in the United Kingdom and Australia.

CNET was able to test the GymKit functionality, and found it to work well. Setup was a one-tap affair, with a tap on the equipment and then a confirmation on the Apple Watch. Once paired, health data from both gym equipment and the Apple Watch syncs up for a more accurate reading.

GymKit is compatible with fitness machines from TechnoGym, Life Fitness, Matrix, Star Trac, Schwinnn, Cybex, and Stairmaster, with Apple eventually planning to cover 80 percent of the fitness equipment market. At the gym where CNET tested GymKit, the feature works with ellipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes, and stair-climbers.

Article Link: watchOS 4.1 GymKit Feature Rolls Out to First U.S. Gym

2. MacWorld78, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017

MacWorld78 macrumors regular

Awesome, does anybody know which Gym here in London (NorthWest - UK) that will support GymKit?

3. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Ok, but what about barbells? If they could find a way to implant bluetooth and a bunch of sensors then we’ll have a game changer.

4. 6803390 Suspended

“Metro reports that the Mansion House Virgin Active gym in London now offers exercise machines that work with Apple’s GymKit feature which lets you sync workout data between the machine and Apple Watch. In the piece, Apple’s fitness chief Jay Blahnik suggests we may see even more GymKit-compatible machines soon…”

5. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Hoping planet fitness will be one of the gyms

6. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

But isn't the latest watch OS version 4.2? I am lost here.

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Unlikely. Planet Fitness would just 4x all your workout data and give you more free pizza.

It's also unlikely that Planet Fitness, being one of the cheapest gyms in the country, would invest in all new equipment to support this new feature. Lifetime is on the other end as one of the most expensive options and is only doing so as they add new equipment at their higher-end clubs.

8. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Gymkit was a 4.1 feature but this is the first time a commercial gym is ready to roll with it. Not a bad turnaround honestly.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Roll-out is a joke!

Should NOT be limited to just one gym, nor one gym chain.

Life Fitness equipment is good yet I'd like to see other 'Life' brands as featured in Goodlife or LA Fitness as well as seeing Hammer Strength collaboration for those of us that do MORE than Aerobic fitness regimen. Apple if they did their research should know that the best fat loss (which seems to be the goal of this GymKit considerin the equipment roll-out initially) is best with aerobic and resistance exercise.

10. kildraik, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017

kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I LOVE watching other members at Equinox use their technology while they workout. Even the trainers are glued to screens while they train.

Nobody’s body composition has changed much, if at all, in my three years tenure at my location. The idea that an Apple Watch is a means to enhance your experience at a fitness facility is hilarious and backwards.

It’s tirelessly annoying that humans can feel satisfaction about hitting goals on machines designed to keep you weak (and your stabilising muscles/tissues weaker). Sheesh. People need to get back in touch with their humanity. Scientific feedback and metrics can be awesome, but the only people that truly benefit from them are people who also have many years of trial/error experience, knows what is best for their genetics, and eats bountifully for nutrition, not for pleasure.

Which brings me to this: 90% of your fitness is in your diet and diet alone!

This is all marketing. Barf. I think it’s worse that it works.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2017 ---
    I don’t ever use machines, but I’d expect my $200/month membership at Equinox to include all technological advances and features FIRST and with partial exclusivity, no matter how useless they are both in practice and progress. Lol!

Plus, if there’s going to be a major demographic to test the tech, it wouldn’t be a facility with “fitness,” in its name... it would be an Equinox.

11. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

Hmm. I figured Globo Gym would be the first.

12. fnut707 macrumors newbie

Wont happen. TechnoGym is on the "premium" side of gym equipment. Planet Fitness uses Precor which is not listed as a supporting company nor "premium"

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

14. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

You don't ever use machines??

So what do you do with your workout to go around an injury? Ignore the entire muscle group and wait or do you use extremely light weight or compound movements? I use all: Free - weights and machines.

Side Lateral raises
    - I personally get a better workout with a LifeFitness lateral raise machine as it specifically isolates the medial head - considering I have a rotator cuff weakness that dumbbells would take months to get more than 5lbs increments. Cabled Side Lateral raises allows consistent tension on BOTH the positive and negative movement thereby working both the slow/fast twitch muscles since the shoulder muscles is combined with an equal 50/50% of both muscle tissue types!
    - I cannot do upright rows and recent research states it's not as effective for shoulders yet is more for trapezoid muscles which I do exemplary with shoulder raises/upgright rows since it doesn't affect my rotator cuff injury.

Legs:
    Squats ... great for barbell but it isolates different muscles than Leg Press (it's a machine movement) and I can tell you with years of experience with 100m (10.02 fastest time at 14yrs old) /110m Hurdles/Long Jump the explosive power out of the blocks as well as the first 40ms the speed I've attained is NOT the same as from Lunges, Squats, Leg Extensions or Hamstring Curls.
    Box Squats can really take away from a few hip flexion injuries or Smith Machine Squats while maintaining the strength if not size to pull through an injury quicker.
    - but wait a moment you don't do machines so the back of your thighs are flat?

* The science or research you speak of LED to Machines due to improper form even by those highly experienced lifters which also led to prevent injury.

At the beginning or the end of the day ... if your muscles are strong enough to pull someone out of a car before it explodes, knock out a pedophile trying to take a child away, smack a youth before he shoots another youth, knock some sense into an ignorant man beating on his wife/any woman ... by ALL MEANS I'm going to work out on both free weights and machines! Maybe one day my muscles could help someone else lead a normal life when I'm recently dead. (when science gets there)

I've had a walkman since I was 9yrs old '82!
    I enjoy using my Apple Watch to listen to music via Bluetooth to my headphones, I use Gymholic/Strong to track my workouts, properly time my rest periods between my sets and remind me to complete each set or quickly track changes FASTER than a pend and paper, and less cumbersome too!
    PS: I don't have to worry about the paper tracking method should I or someone else at the gym spills water on it.

I have no idea what your workouts or your thoughts came from but there is so much you're missing out on. And yes I do calesthetics as well.

15. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Jesus.. have a drink, will you? :rolleyes:

16. Nozuka macrumors 68000

got in touch with technogym to see if the equipment in my gym can be upgraded... they will now communicate with my gym directly.

don't have high hopes that my gym will want to invest in this though.

17. Billberryjuice macrumors regular

Billberryjuice

PureGym (UK) have a lot of Matrix and TechnoGym kit but I doubt they'll be upgrading any time soon, we can always hope.

18. RobNYC macrumors 6502

I will not be holding my breath for my crappy gym to get these any time soon. When they updated the treadmills to ones that had iPhone docks on them they all had the old 30 pin connectors and that was after Apple switched to the lighting ports a couple years before.

19. Nozuka macrumors 68000

According to my Technogym contact, any Technogym device with the "Unity" Software should be upgradeable. But it won't be free. Unity has been around for like 5 years. I hope it's not too expensive.

But more information won't be out until January.

So it seems it's only new devices at the moment, which will limit availability for a while.

20. MacWorld78 macrumors regular

Many thanks for the information, unfortunately that gym is bit too far from my house!

I wish my gym (better) update all machines (technogym), just 10 mins walk away from my house!

21. Soccertess macrumors 6502a

I doubt this will catch on. Not many people have Apple watches, and majority of phones out there are now android, that's just a fact.

All the gyms I go to, I still see the old iphone 30 pin dock on treadmills. I think apple needed a better role out strategy and better backwards compatibility when they released Lightning. I know a lot of people were upset having to upgrade speakers and other 3rd party items because of the change. I think a lot of manufactures were pissed off by the change and the backward compatibility issues that arose.

Apple dominated the market back then and it made sense to build in integration. But Tim Cook's lack of leadership, and andriod's rise have really changed the playing field.

Just don't see the point into investing R&D, when you have no guarantee of compatibility in the future, and limited market.

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I don’t see gym equipment ever supporting Lighting connector since Apple might change it at anytime again.