Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
On my Apple Watch Series 3 I have configured Siri’s spoken feedback to be controlled by the silent mode/switch. Since I always have the silent mode enabled I never got spoken feedback. With watchOS 4.2 this has changed: Whenever I control a HomeKit light bulb Siri starts speaking to me. In contrast if I set a timer or ask for the weather Siri will be perfectly silent.

Can anyone confirm this behavior on a AW3? I tried a re-pair (as new watch) which resulted in the same annoying behavior.

herbius

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Sydney, Australia
There is a setting for it, on the watch in settings under General > Siri you can set voice feedback to always, control with silent mode or headphones only.
[doublepost=1513583437][/doublepost]Wait... Sorry, I didn’t read your post properly. Discard my previous reply.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I can confirm the same behavior. Appears to give audible voice feedback when controlling HomeKit but otherwise appropriately silent.

Reactions: jxrxme

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
On my Apple Watch Series 3 I have configured Siri’s spoken feedback to be controlled by the silent mode/switch. Since I always have the silent mode enabled I never got spoken feedback. With watchOS 4.2 this has changed: Whenever I control a HomeKit light bulb Siri starts speaking to me. In contrast if I set a timer or ask for the weather Siri will be perfectly silent.

Can anyone confirm this behavior on a AW3? I tried a re-pair (as new watch) which resulted in the same annoying behavior.

Yep it’s a bug for sure. I have the same issue and made a thread about the very same thing. It’s super annoying to have Siri yell back at me when she’s set to Silent.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm hoping the new update for Apple Watch apparently coming out next week - fixes this. Because it's stupidly annoying.

themikea

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
I'm hoping the new update for Apple Watch apparently coming out next week - fixes this. Because it's stupidly annoying.

Still not fixed in 4.2.2 beta 5, which should be the last beta before the public release. I filed a bug report about it in my developer account, but it looks like it was deleted somehow. Filed another one today. :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Still not fixed in 4.2.2 beta 5, which should be the last beta before the public release. I filed a bug report about it in my developer account, but it looks like it was deleted somehow. Filed another one today. :(

Ugh. That stinks. This is really driving me nuts on a daily basis. :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

4.3 BETA is out. Any chance it’s fixed there?

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
I don’t know why, but since two day this issue is resolved for me. Didn’t do any iOS or watchOS updates this week. Server side fix?

Reactions: WilliamG

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don’t know why, but since two day this issue is resolved for me. Didn’t do any iOS or watchOS updates this week. Server side fix?

You’re right! Can confirm this. How...is that possible? I just tested my HomeKit scenes and no more spoken Siri. I didn’t change anything either.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Did Apple response to your bug report in the meantime?

I can say they never responded to mine either. But it’s definitely fixed remotely. How...interesting. Sounds like that Siri-spoken/silent toggle in the Watch settings can be overwritten from the server side...

themikea

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Did Apple response to your bug report in the meantime?

No, my bug was just closed to a duplicate eventually.

I can confirm it is fixed for me also. Guess there are some additional instructions/data that can be sent with the Siri response from the server side?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
No, my bug was just closed to a duplicate eventually.

I can confirm it is fixed for me also. Guess there are some additional instructions/data that can be sent with the Siri response from the server side?

It's a bit unnerving that Apple can control options that are ON the Apple Watch settings page, remotely. Is that... even OK?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.