HomePod WatchOS 4.3 HomePod control

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Hrodriguez77, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Hrodriguez77 macrumors member

Hrodriguez77

One of the features of the new os is the ability to control the HomePod with your watch, but I can’t figure out how to do it. I’m able to control the music on my phone, which I can then airplay to the speaker. Is this what they mean by HomePod control? I want to control the speaker directly not through airplay on my phone.

2. alecc131 macrumors regular

Me too. This doesn’t seem to work. Also, no information in watchOS 4.3 user guides.
    Just like the betas, the only two ways to control HomePod on Watch are either switching to HomePod manually in iPhone Now Playing, or AirPlaying from iPhone to HomePod.

Is anyone able to control music playing directly on HomePod?

3. yegon, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

yegon macrumors 68020

I've been wondering the same since seeing the (vague) release notes last night.

I'd like the ability to change the volume of the HP sourced music via the Watch, as the voice command volume up/volume down increments are way too big at lower volumes.

4. alecc131 macrumors regular

This is kind of ridiculously shortsighted with all of the recent discussion about software bugs.
    It doesn’t “just work”
    When playing music, HomePod Now Playing controls should appear just like iPhone.
    Also, on Siri watch face, album art is missing when manually switched to HomePod in iPhone Now Playing.

5. yegon macrumors 68020

I gave up on Siri Watch face after trying it for a few days. Either it's behaviour simply isn't suited to the way I use the Watch OR it's as dumb as a box of frogs.

I'm leaning towards the latter sadly.

6. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

I think i figured it out, sort of but im not sure, it might just be airplay.

I started playing a song on my watch via "hey siri" or starting the song on my phone. Then on my watch i change the output source to HomePod.

7. alecc131 macrumors regular

A lot of “mights” and maybes. Apple should really have provided instructions. I would imagine if they have sold a lot of Apple Watches and HomePods — everybody would be wondering what we are.

Also, considering the benefits of connectivity between devices in one Apple ecosystem, Apple Watch and HomePod are completely not seamless. Apple Watches and Echos connect more seamlessly.

8. alecc131 macrumors regular

Current state works exactly the same as all the betas. Not well.
    However, the decision to advertise HomePod control in release notes ... this I thought meant a change. Apparently not. Suspicious decision to advertise, makes both devices look really dumb.

It’s completely simple how this should work.

1/ Now Playing should show HomePod when in range. (Like it does iPhone)

2/ Music/Radio apps should show On HomePod. (Like it does iPhone)

Simple, that’s it.

9. Hrodriguez77 thread starter macrumors member

Hrodriguez77

I believe this is just airplay. This is the only way I’m able to get it working.

10. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

11. alecc131 macrumors regular

Now Playing on Apple Watch only works after first selecting HomePod in iPhone’s Now Playing

HomePod doesn’t show up in Apple Watch Now Playing automatically

12. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

This is my observation as well, which is just stupid. I don’t care if I have to manually select my HomePod on my Watch, but there needs to be some way to initiate control without first having to break out my phone! Hopefully they continue to improve on this in future releases.

13. Neometro macrumors newbie

Hello I think I got it.
    Instead of telling the HomePod to play something select the HomePod from the Control Center on your iPhone, then switch to Apple Music and select a song there. Now the HomePod will be playing it directly from Apple Music (No airplay), and then go to the Now Playing on your Apple Watch and it should be there (just like the picture jimmirehman posted).
    But it is just controls meaning you can’t select a song from your watch and have the HomePod play it directly from Apple Music.
    I hope this made sense English is not my primary language.

14. derekreilly macrumors newbie

If you have a song playing on HomePod you just need to open the HomePod section on the control center and HomePod will show on now playing on the watch, but this is not the way it should be. On the early betas it would appear automatically on the watch when you played a song on the HomePod. What’s the point in having to go to the phone to be able to control from the watch?