watchOS 4 on S0 - Sluggish

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Trocien, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Trocien macrumors member

Just installed watchOS 4 on my S0 Apple Watch. My experience so far is that it is noticeably more sluggish when moving between apps from the new Vertical Scroll.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Yep- that may help me to make up my mind about upgrading to an S2 or S3.

3. serpico007 macrumors member

serpico007

Good to know, I'm still on 3.2.3 and it's slow enough! Guess I'll need to buy a new watch in the future.

4. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

We just have to make it till Friday... Still waiting on the update to finish installing but I can't say I will be surprised if it turns out to be more sluggish. SS S0 - SS S3 LTE

5. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Remember that updates involve more then just installing the new OS. Your watch has to re-sync some previously cached data, databases have to re-index, etc. I would give it a couple of days. Hopefully performance will improve. I'm going to hold off until i hear how things are going after a few days.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Give it some time. Mine was really slow and didn’t work well for about an hour. I even rebooted it once and it didn’t help. But a few hours later and it is just fine. Was probably still updating apps and doing cleanup.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm not finding that to be the case. If anything it seems to be a bit better than 3.2.3 on my S0. Have to live with it a bit and see how it develops.

Vertical dock is a big improvement in usability IMO. Much faster to navigate the list.

8. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

This is correct and my experience as well. At first I was frustrated but then noticed that it was loading and reinstalling a ton of apps. AFter 30-45 minutes, it was working fine again, or at least as well as it used to.

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'm not installing it on my S0. I may sell it and if I do, I want to try to leave that option to the new owner (though not sure I can wipe it without it getting upgraded in the process.)

10. 4451 macrumors newbie

OS4working really smoothly on my S0 but battery life is taking a big hit. I love the Siri face.

I too assume that the battery hit is because of all of the install activity and that I've been playing with it a lot more. I'll give it a day or so to settle down.

11. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

My battery will drain instead of charge and the watch will get hot for about 1 hour. After that, its business as usual. Not slower nor faster than 3.2.3 that’s why they still supported it in this update cycle.

12. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

My Series 0 seems to be handling it quite well, I don’t know what the difference could be.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think everyone's situation will vary, depending on what they have for applications, etc. I don't use any third-party applications, I just use mine for notifications and fitness. But I don't update my Watch on day one, as I usually wait a few days.

14. mszilard macrumors member

Please update this thread with battery performance on S0 as the update settles down.

15. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Are you sure?

16. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Ok so once I switched to the Siri face things started to slow down - I think making it pull changing info from all these different apps is going to kill battery and make the face laggy.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a bit pokey on mine, and my battery life wasn't great lately anyways so I'll not be able to discern of watchOS4 is doing any more harm to my battery life

18. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

For me it was:
    watchOS 2.2 Fastest
    3.x Slow as ****
    4.0 Better than 3

19. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I find the vertical dock to be MUCH worse - MUCH slower. The left/right swiping felt more natural, the up/down is awkward, and I'm not accustomed to seeing apps that way. Most everywhere you go, carousels are implemented left/right not up/down.

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In theory I liked the horizontal dock better, but in practice I found swiping between the apps really cumbersome. It was slow and somewhat unresponsive at times, and I always felt like I had a hard time locating the app I wanted if it wasn't one of the first ones in the list. The vertical dock is much more responsive for me and I'm finding it really natural to hit the side button to launch the dock and then move directly to the scroll wheel to navigate it rather than having to make relatively large swiping gestures.

21. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

Yeah it's much more sluggish on my end. The battery life is really suffering also.

22. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

Mine is as fast as before. What I see now is that the battery lasts longer! How is this even possible?
    It's been on my wrist for 16 hours and it shows 82% battery! O_O

Same notification settings and so as before.

23. lax28 macrumors 6502

lax28

upgraded to OS4 , and now today the watch is just constantly rebooting on its own...should have waited

24. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Ughhh I’m d’loading it now. This is Apples way of trying to entice you to buy the newer models. I guess I didn’t need to upgrade to os4 but still. Oh well..I will not bite. I’m holding out for series 4 when Apple improves LTE signal and battery life. Also can’t justify upgrading a Watch now every year or other year. I already do that with my phone.

25. michaelb5000 macrumors regular

I don't notice it being sluggish or using battery on my S0. Some things are definitely faster, like Siri.