watchOS 5.01 Siri Raise to Speak doesn't work

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DeNachtwacht, Oct 3, 2018.

1. DeNachtwacht, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

Hi guys,

with my new Series 4 running watchOS 5.01 I am experiencing some problems with Siri. When I touch the crown and ask something, Siri works fine in almost every use case. But when I use Raise to Speak, the exact same commands don't work. I did a complete reinstall of both my iPhone SE and my Apple Watch (and set them up both as new devices without getting a backup).

Things that work fine with digital crown own with "Hey Siri", but don't work with raise to speak
    - is the weather going to be nice tomorrow?
    - set up a meeting for tomorrow, 2PM with André
    - set a timer in 10 minutes
    - what is my first meeting tomorrow?

Things that work with Raise to Speak
    - is it going to rain tonight?
    - questions to Siri itself, like "are you married", "what is the meaning of life" et cetera.

Is this something in my setup, or is everyone experiencing the same? Is this a bug?

2. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502a

Jason Hensley

I downloaded 5.0.1 the day it was released, and have successfully used Raise To Speak probably 50 times since with no issues.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

mine either.
    I turned it off because it doesn't work consistently.
    Consistency is what I value the most.
    I like something that fails consistently better than something that works inconsistently.

5. RonFromOregon macrumors member

For me, it works perhaps once in 30 or 40 tries. Worthless.

6. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

raise to speak is cocky bitch version of Siri.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Upon further testing. It doesn't work for me if I raise my arm while sitting down. There's not enough difference in height to let the watch know I'm trying to dictate a command.

However, it does work when I'm standing up and raising my arm up (2.5 to 3 feet).

Maybe this can be tweaked at some point.

8. DeNachtwacht thread starter macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

Raise to speak is being detected perfectly, but the thing is after speaking every command, my watch crashes and it goes back to the watch face without giving a reply.

9. Midway123 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem, it started after either downloading and installing watchOS 5.0GM or 5.01. The 5.0 Betas were all fine...pity because I really got used to it and found it to be a handy feature...Kind of busy right now with newborn twins, but after that settles I will try to see what 5.1 beta does..

10. DeNachtwacht thread starter macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

I found out it seems to be a language bug. When using Siri in English, nothing goes wrong. When using Dutch, it fails. I hear a lot of other guys complaining on a Dutch forum. Question is: is this a bug concerning other language packs too or is it only Dutch.

11. Midway123 macrumors newbie

Thanks for that! I am based in Netherlands and using Dutch too. That explains. Then it will likely be resolved soon....Glad you brought it up because I thought I was the only one and suspected a buggy device...