WatchOS 6 location service constant on

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Since I update to watchOS 6 on the series 3 watch, the location service seems to be on all the time. The "hollow arrow" icon stays on the iPhone menu bar constantly. I figured it is my watch because the icon disappears if I turn off the watch and comes back on when I turn on the watch. Also, a purple hollow arrow icon is also constantly on in the watch if I swipe up. If I set location service for weather to "Never", the icon disappear too. These seem to suggest that the weather app on Apple Watch is constantly requesting location data.

I don't think the watch is doing this before updating. Anyone else has this issue? Any idea how this can be solved?

Last edited:

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I've seen reports elsewhere of this today and some people are associating it with the weather app/complication.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Since I update to watchOS 6 on the series 3 watch, the location service seems to be on all the time. The "hollow arrow" icon stays on the iPhone menu bar constantly. I figured it is my watch because the icon disappears if I turn off the watch and comes back on when I turn on the watch. Also, a purple hollow arrow icon is also constantly on in the watch if I swipe up.
Hollow arrow means something's doing geofencing.

Since it seems to follow the watch being on or off, look to see what you might have set up that's doing a geofence in some way relative to the watch.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I've seen reports elsewhere of this today and some people are associating it with the weather app/complication.
Yeah, I just edited my post after I played with the location setting for the weather app on iPhone. I seems the culprit is the weather app on the watch.
- - Post merged: - -

Hollow arrow means something's doing geofencing.

Since it seems to follow the watch being on or off, look to see what you might have set up that's doing a geofence in some way relative to the watch.
Thank you! I just edited my post after trying different location settings for weather. It appears that the weather app on watch is constantly requesting location data. However, I don't know what setting I can change to solve the issue. Location service for watch face and for weather are both set to "While using the app". Any other settings I can play with?

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Found the other report(s) I read earlier here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/d6ouz9
I don't know about solutions. I have a series 4 and I'm not updating yet. Going to chill for a few days and take in all the feedback first ;)
Thank you! It seems like it is not just me. Similar to the Reddit post, the location service icon stays on even if I turn on the airplane mode on the watch. It does not seem like this is the expected behavior. Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon.