Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The watchOS 8.3 release candidate has expanded AssistiveTouch, allowing users to control their Apple Watch using only hand gestures, to older Apple Watch models after the feature was previously exclusive to only newer Apple Watches.

assistivetouch-apple-watch-featured.jpg

Apple first previewed the feature in May as part of its continued commitment to making its products accessible to as many people as possible. AssistiveTouch uses a combination of data from onboard Apple Watch sensors to notice subtle changes in muscle movements and tendon activity. Using gestures like a clinch or pinch, users can control their Apple Watch without touching the screen.
AssistiveTouch for watchOS enables people with upper-body limb differences to use Apple Watch without ever having to touch the display or controls. Using built-in motion sensors and on-device learning, Apple Watch detects subtle differences in muscle movements and tendon activity, letting you control the display through hand gestures like a pinch or a clench. This feature also works with VoiceOver so you can navigate Apple Watch with one hand while using a cane or leading a service animal. Answer incoming calls, control an onscreen motion pointer, and access Notification Center, Control Center, and more.
The feature was previously exclusive to newer Apple Watch models, such as the Series 6 and the Apple Watch SE. Now, with the last several watchOS 8.3 betas and the release candidate released this week, Apple has expanded the feature to include older Apple Watch models such as the Apple Watch Series 4 and Series 5. The expansion was first noted on Twitter and later picked up on Reddit.

Article Link: watchOS 8.3 Release Candidate Expands AssistiveTouch to Older Apple Watch Models

Reactions: bb9

CarAnalogy

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2021
It's great that they're rolling this out to more models.

I have a physical disability that makes it hard (although not impossible) to use my Apple Watch while standing.

However, I've tried this feature quite a bit on my Series 7 and found it to be unreliable and frustrating to use (similar to the "back tap" feature on iPhones).

I guess if it was absolutely impossible for me to use my watch then I'd just get used to it and adapt, but I hope they keep working to improve this feature. It feels like it would benefit from some dedicated hardware, like an accessory of some kind.

I was wondering how well this works, it seems more like an experiment than a finished feature.

I also find back tap too unreliable to use.

MidwestMacGuy

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
Oppo made a big mistake when they withdrew from the audio market they owned to focus on smartphones where they are, at best, an also ran. Everything they made in audio was hot and was the best and sold well. Their 4k player was unbeatable. As soon as they stopped making it the price for used ones quadrupled. Their only mistake was they almost gave away their prodcuts at such cheap prices. They could have made a lot more money in audio.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Chicagoblah

macrumors member
May 19, 2017
how about a double press crown to activate siri? I have disabled it completely on my watch with all the accidental activations.

Chicagoblah

macrumors member
May 19, 2017
image.jpg
How do you accidentally activate siri Via the crown?
Like this , maybe I have too much skin? Haha. When i first got it I definitely noticed it during yoga which made sense but it definitely became more an annoyance with our kid. Maybe id pick him up and without knowing I see the watch just listening to us so I turned of off 6 months ago, recently turned it back on and only kept it on for about a week before turning it back off.

Forgot to point out, I realize the orientation would prob fix my issue but the crown facing toward my fingers just feels more natural to me and is much easier to use during workouts.

Last edited:

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
Like this , maybe I have too much skin? Haha. When i first got it I definitely noticed it during yoga which made sense but it definitely became more an annoyance with our kid. Maybe id pick him up and without knowing I see the watch just listening to us so I turned of off 6 months ago, recently turned it back on and only kept it on for about a week before turning it back off.

Forgot to point out, I realize the orientation would prob fix my issue but the crown facing toward my fingers just feels more natural to me and is much easier to use during workouts.
Haha, yes, I have done that ones or twice. With the solo loop, it rides a bit higher and I do not trigger siri ?

But the solo loop is not for sport where you swing your hand hard - it will hurt.
image.jpg

Reactions: Chicagoblah

Chicagoblah

macrumors member
May 19, 2017
Haha, yes, I have done that ones or twice. With the solo loop, it rides a bit higher and I do not trigger siri ?

But the solo loop is not for sport where you swing you hand hard - it will hurt.
View attachment 1925680
I’ll have to check out this band, I had the stainless milanese for the first few years but it rusted out and the magnet fell out! My main use case for siri on the watch is for when Im cooking or trying to change my hue lights lol. Even with it turned off I still love the device.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
And once again… the Series 3 is missing a feature. Pretty sad that they still sell such an incompetent watch.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA

Yeah when I'm riding my bike, i often almost dial 911 (US version of emergency services; 999 in UK, right?). Thankfully the massive haptic alarm and siren goes off before it dials. That'd be an awkward call...

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
You literally have a AW Series 3 in your signature line....?
Exactly. It’s disappointing to me how the watch I bought new from them in late 2019 already feels extremely out of date. I don’t understand why they still sell it.

Apple_Robert

macrumors Nehalem
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Try changing the orientation. After a day or two, I think you will realize just how much better it is. I haven't had any trouble when using it during workouts etc. No more false triggers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.