WatchOS 9.0GM - Calendar not Syncing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Omniver, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Omniver macrumors member

Phone on 9.0GM (13A340), Watch on WatchOS 2 GM (13S343). No calendars (iCloud or Exhcange) are syncing. New appointments freshly added don't sync to watch. Removing the calendars entirely from the iPhone and re-adding them back adds to the phone but still doesn't sync to watch. Watch restarted, Phone restarted - no change in behavior.

Calendar settings in Watch App are "Mirror my iPhone"
    Watch App >> General >> Reset >> Reset Sync Data does nothing.
    Re-paired Watch and setup as new: no fix.

Any ideas? Any others with similar behavior?

2. rcoden macrumors newbie

rcoden

I don't have a fix, sorry. I did however have the same issues with the beta's, Exchange calendar would not sync, but when I installed the GM yesterday, all my calendar issues have been resolved. I wonder why some folks are having issues?

3. Omniver thread starter macrumors member

Some additional information.

I am only currently trying to sync an iCloud calendar. The Exchange calendar has been removed from the device to rule that out. No change, the iCloud calendar will not sync with the Watch.

Interestingly, telling Siri to add an appointment via the Watch works - it gets added to the watch only though and does not sync back to the iPhone.

It's almost as if the Watch has it's own calendar now and isn't talking to the iPhone.

4. rcoden macrumors newbie

rcoden

Interesting. You probably do not want to do this, but you could reset all the settings on the phone and watch and then reset up each device (not from a backup) and see if that works. It is a lot of work, but if everything is reset, I would think that would fix the issues with the iCloud syncing issues.

5. Omniver thread starter macrumors member

Some additional informormation:

Removing all iCloud calendars from the iPhone caused a 'new' calendar to appear - a local iPhone calendar. This new calendar had the Watch created event on it. Also, adding/removing/editing events on this local iCloud calendar *does* sync to the Watch.

I re-added the iCloud calendar and was prompted to "Merge" the local iPhone calendar. I did, and it was added as a new iCloud calendar. Syncing with this calendar still works between iPhone/iCloud/and Apple Watch *but* my other pre-existing iCloud calendars still do not appear or Sync with the apple watch.

Still no fix for the problem, but at least something new.

6. revlisoft macrumors member

I have the same problem. Seems like it is only able to sync iCloud calendars and none of my gmail and corporate exchange calendars.

7. Omniver thread starter macrumors member

We've tracked the cause of the problem to the MDM setting which prevents opening of documents from "Managed" apps in "Unmanaged" apps. Specifically:

allowOpenFromManagedToUnmanaged
    Boolean
    Optional. If false, documents in managed apps and accounts only open in other managed apps and accounts. Default is true.

When this setting is "false", on the next change on any calendar item *all calendar entries are removed from the Apple Watch* and all Calendar synchronization stops. This setting has been around since iOS7 and this is neither expected behavior nor was this a problem in earlier versions of WatchOS.

This is a pretty big deal, this setting being set to "false" is how the iOS data-loss-prevention controls work, for most enterprises, mine included, this is a hard requirement and enforces the desired security model. This needs to be fixed. Bug filed.

8. revlisoft macrumors member

Thanks for the follow up. Is this a bug or intended by design that was corrected?