Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pugilares

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
Hello, just got Apple Watch SE (1st gen) brand new. Paired it to my son-s iPhone 7 Plus iOS 15 with no problems.
Then son says he doesn't like it... (he wants Garmin).
So try to pair the watch with my wife-s iPhone 8 Plus iOS 16 and then watchOS upgrade starts to install watchOS 9.0.

The question is - would be this ever possible to erase the watch SE (1st gen) in the future and pair it with iPhone 7 once there was watchOS 9 already installed? Or this is one way ticket and once the wachOS is upgraded to 9 the watch SE (1st gen) would be never again possible do pair witch iPhone 7?

Another question - would it be possible to reject watchOS upgrade and use the watch SE (1st gen) witch iPhone 8 Plus iOS 16 without watchOS 9?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The question is - would be this ever possible to erase the watch SE (1st gen) in the future and pair it with iPhone 7 once there was watchOS 9 already installed? Or this is one way ticket and once the wachOS is upgraded to 9 the watch SE (1st gen) would be never again possible do pair witch iPhone 7?
It's a one-way ticket and won't be able to be paired with the iPhone 7 anymore since it can't run iOS 16.

Another question - would it be possible to reject watchOS upgrade and use the watch SE (1st gen) witch iPhone 8 Plus iOS 16 without watchOS 9?
As far as I know, there's no way to cancel or reject the upgrade. The watch has to be updated to the latest version compatible with the iPhone in order to pair/set it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.