Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Hi

I'm considering an Apple Watch when v2 arrives, but i'm a little worried about how "grown up" watchOS is by now. The first version was severely limited in features and as far as I can see v3 still has a lot of "apple knows best" limitations. One killer feature I need in order to consider an AW but cannot confirm is possible is:

Stand alone apps that can automatically sync Podcasts and music to the watch for "untethered" use (when running and such with BT earphones). Currently using Downcast and Plex for this on my phone. Is that possible on wOS3 if app developers should decide to develop it, or is it still only itunes that can do things like this?

Also a mapping application that works "untethered" with offline maps present on the watch (for basic navigation when running in a city or when riding a bike) would be nice - if AW2 has GPS as rumored. Is that possible?

Here's hoping Apple will unlock more opportunities on the watch as it's currently rather limited in usability because of very restrictive software.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure about podcasts but you've been able to sync music onto the Apple Watch since day 1. (I believe up to 2gb worth of songs)

AW 2 adding GPS will most likely solve your second question. (I believe some have even reported that watchOS 3 has been able to somehow track your route even without the phone on the current watch)

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I think the trick to podcasts is to tag them as music in iTunes and then sync the "songs" to your AW. This site describes the steps: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/04/28/how-to-sync-podcasts-apple-watch/

I use Overcast, which is a nice podcast app for iPhone and Apple Watch. I've never tried the workaround to sync podcasts to the AW though. I'm a cyclist and we have bags on our bikes and pockets in our jerseys that can easily carry an iPhone. :D

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
The iTunes workaround to sync a playlist is precisely my point with the "apple knows best" approach that shows how incomplete the software for the watch is.
Why on earth does it have to be so cumbersome and force me to use the worst application on earth: iTunes?
If it's already possible, why do they childishly have to prevent other app's from doing the same thing in an infinitely easier way? I believe it took IOS5 before we could start syncing media - and wirelessly so - to the iphone in other apps than iTunes.

I just don't get Apple sometimes... I love their phones and pads ever since they grew up and opened up somewhat. Why do they do things so slowly?

Ohh well, i'll wait another year for watchOS 4 to see if they grow up a bit.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
The iTunes workaround to sync a playlist is precisely my point with the "apple knows best" approach that shows how incomplete the software for the watch is.
Why on earth does it have to be so cumbersome and force me to use the worst application on earth: iTunes?

What iTunes workaround? iTunes is not involved in syncing music to the watch.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
If it's already possible, why do they childishly have to prevent other app's from doing the same thing in an infinitely easier way? I believe it took IOS5 before we could start syncing media - and wirelessly so - to the iphone in other apps than iTunes.

I just don't get Apple sometimes... I love their phones and pads ever since they grew up and opened up somewhat. Why do they do things so slowly?

Ohh well, i'll wait another year for watchOS 4 to see if they grow up a bit.

I hear Android is perfect for your bitchy needs.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Also a mapping application that works "untethered" with offline maps present on the watch (for basic navigation when running in a city or when riding a bike) would be nice - if AW2 has GPS as rumored. Is that possible?
Very few devices of any kind do this. I have a Garmin Edge 520, I can push a route to it, but the map files to support a route take a crapton of memory. The 520's ~100MB of free space is only enough for a relatively small region. It does limited navigation. The 820 has 16GB, which may be enough for the US. And, it supports full navigation. I think only the Suunto and maybe Fenix watches have enough memory and ability to support full navigation during a workout. The common trait among devices that do full navigation is that they are physically large and have big batteries and lots of memory.

The AW currently has 8GB, but a lot of that is spoken for by music and OS. The watch would probably have to have at least 24GB before it could handle navigation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.